Remote access software

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Remote access software

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.

I have my Vista laptop at home and my colleague has Vista on her work/company PC. She says they use 'Go to my meeting' at work, but I think she might mean 'Go to my PC'.

1)Would I be able to use this software from home to remotely control her PC? Presumably I would need to be designated a user by them and probably need to install some software on my computer?
2) If I gain access to her PC will I be able to enter their Citrix network as well?
3) Or perhaps there is another piece of (free :) ) software that we can both install that would enable this?

What I need it for is to install (and test, etc.) Access database(s) for them, including perhaps modifying their shared back-end database.

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Timelord
4StarLounger

Re: Remote access software

Post by Timelord »

She is probably talking about gotomeeting. It is a great way to connect with people for meetings if you do not want to look at them. We used to use this for online training courses (with another software for students to connect to their machines). We used it in XP and have used it in Windows 7, so I am sure it would work with Vista.
If you want to connect to her machine, then yes, you will need gotomypc. gototmeeting allows users to share their desktop, and let you control it, but requires someone giving that permission.
If you are on their pc then you can do anything they can do, so Citrix will be available.
I do not know of any free software, but trials are available.
Who will you Inspire today?

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

@Timelord Thank you.

If they have 'gotomypc' (or 'gotomeeting') then they will have a number of licenses. So I assume I could take my laptop along, install the software and be given a username/password? That is, I shouldn't have to purchase any software myself(?).

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

You should not have to go in to the office to get the software. You can download it from the site and then all you will need is the username and password. You should not have to purchase it yourself, assuming they have enough licenses.
Who will you Inspire today?

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you Timelord.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If your colleague has a Pro (or higher) version of Vista you can use the built-in RDP software to connect.

Joe
Joe

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

JoeP wrote:If your colleague has a Pro (or higher) version of Vista you can use the built-in RDP software to connect.

Joe
Hi. They probably have Pro but I only have Vista Home Premium, although I notice an application called 'Remote Desktop Connection' ?

Andy.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

agibsonsw wrote:What I need it for is to install (and test, etc.) Access database(s) for them, including perhaps modifying their shared back-end database.
Hi Andy. I swear by "join.me", and posted about it about 3 months ago, but can't find my post now. Found It!
No license; it d/l a very small footprint.
One user fires it up and offers to share, and is then given a 9-digit code.
That code is telephoned/skyped/emailed to the other user who keys it in and becomes a spectator.
The originator can give control to the spectator.

By this MAGIC idea last night I joined Brendon who was himself connected to a client machine.
Response was a bit sluggish, equivalent to a phone call to Australia by satellite, but there I am with mouse and keyboard tweaking my client's client's machine on behalf of my client!

PM me if you'd like to experiment with me.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

@Chris Thank you. That looks straight-forward :laugh:. Although I won't need it for, probably, a couple of weeks. I'll give it a go nearer the time.

BTW Actually, the client/she is supposed to eventually take over the database but I don't think this is going to happen any time soon. When I recently attempted to demonstrate the process of copying my front-end database and re-attaching tables Access decided to go belly-up on me (yet again :groan: ). I don't think she found this reassuring!

[I always find it best/safest to start a blank database and re-import all objects to it. But this time I attempted to import them directly from the database on my USB pen, rather than first copying it to their shared area. This was a mistake!]

Regards, Andy.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

With RDP you only have to have Pro or higher if you are to host a remote session. With your Home Premium version you can use "Remote Desktop Connection" to remotely connect to a PC hosting the connection.

Joe
Joe

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

JoeP wrote:With RDP you only have to have Pro or higher if you are to host a remote session. With your Home Premium version you can use "Remote Desktop Connection" to remotely connect to a PC hosting the connection.

Joe
Thank you Joe - that makes sense :smile: