Windows / Outlook / Hard Drive question

jmt356
SilverLounger

Windows / Outlook / Hard Drive question

Post by jmt356 »

If I were to receive a 1 mb file in Outlook and then were to store that file on my hard drive, would that file take up a total of 1 or 2 mb (assuming I didn’t delete the email containing it)?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows / Outlook / Hard Drive question

Post by HansV »

If you save the attachment to your hard disk and keep the e-mail message, complete with the attachment, it would take up 2 MB - the e-mail message is stored on your hard disk too, in your .pst file.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Is there no function in Windows that recognizes that two files are identical and writes one of them as a shortcut to the other to save disk space?

Also, I try cutting and copying attachments from my Outlook messages in order to save space (hopeing that cutting them will remove them from the emails). But all that happens is the file is pasted. It has the effect of copy + paste. Is there a way to cut / remove / delete attachments from Outlook emails once I have copied them to My Documents?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

jmt356 wrote:Is there no function in Windows that recognizes that two files are identical and writes one of them as a shortcut to the other to save disk space?
No.
jmt356 wrote:Is there a way to cut / remove / delete attachments from Outlook emails once I have copied them to My Documents?
You could use the Outlook Attachment Manager.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

jmt356 wrote:Is there a way to cut / remove / delete attachments from Outlook emails once I have copied them to My Documents?
Not sure about other versions of Outlook but in Outlook 2007, double click on the Subject Line when viewing the headers, then right click on the attachment and select Remove. Then save the message. Attachment is deleted. But bear in mind that the PST file will not be reduced by the size of the attachment. That only happens when you compact the PST file.

Just in case you have never compacted your PST file, here's a link to the MS site for more information.

[Edited to add the link as shown above]
Regards,
Bob