When you open My Documents...

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

When you open My Documents...

Post by mishmish3000 »

everything grinds to a halt on the HP computer I have here at work.

It had originally been set up to run Windows 7, but since our IT department isn't quite ready for Windows 7 they took the PC, yanked 7 off and plopped XP on the machine.

Ever since then, at least once or twice a day, when I navigate using Windows Explorer to C:\My Documents, the hard drive light comes on, the computer whirrs comfortably to itself for 5-8 minutes (yes, minutes) and then finally unlocks itself and allows me to view and interact with files. If I try to open anything or click on anything while it's "thinking", the whole system locks permanently and then I have to do a hard shutdown.

The IT staff here has glanced at it but hasn't really looked into it, so I was wondering... any ideas on how to improve the performance and stop this annoying hitch? Remember, I have no admin rights, so all I could do is suggest your suggestions to a friendly IT person (yes, they do exist and yes, I know some here).

Thanks! I'll attach a screen shot with some system specifics.
MishMish3000
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anne

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: When you open My Documents...

Post by agibsonsw »

Only speculating here but it might be worth creating a shortcut to My Documents and, if you are on a network, placing this shortcut in your personal drive. I have no idea if (or why) this would help but it's something I would try.

You might request your IT department to copy and re-create this folder (it might not actually live on your C drive..? It might be pointing to a network share).

But someone of greater note might come along and correct me :smile:
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

Hey, I'll try it and see... thanks! :evilgrin:
Anne

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Your PC looks fast enough! No shortage of memory either!
Do you have a lot of subfolders in My Documents? And/or a lot of zip files?
Best wishes,
Hans

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

Yes, I was thrilled to get a faster PC with more memory... now I can actually run Access and SAS! LOL
But no, I don't have a lot of zipped files on the hard drive. I have about 20 subfolders under MY Documents. What I do have a lot of right now are small *.jpg files, since I take screen shots of things I'm doing, save them in My Documents and then paste them from there into documents I create. But I try to keep those pesky image files organized logically so they aren't all over the place. Usually when I'm done with them, I delete them and then empty the trash bin.

The PC for the week or two that I was blessed to have it with its native Windows 7 on it, never did this. It only started happening after they put XP SP3 on there. But then I have a couple of PCs at home that still run XP SP3 and they never ever do this hanging thing with opening My Documents. Only this one does. Sigh.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend!
MishMish3000
Anne

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

In Windows Explore > Tools > Folder Options...

Check if you have selected the "Automatically search..." option selected:
x.jpg
- I find this can have an enormous impact on open WE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

:evilgrin:
By George, it WAS checked. I unchecked it, so we'll see today if that helps. Maybe that was it!
Thanks!
MishMish3000
Anne