Constant 'Check Disk" on reboot.

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Constant 'Check Disk" on reboot.

Post by Pilgrim »

This pertains to a HDD I have installed in an external enclosure connected via e-SATA. This is a backup drive only, i.e., no OS is installed. Recently, when I reboot the machine (Vista Prem 32-bit), Check Disk starts scanning this external drive and allegedly fixes hundreds of damaged files. The option to cancel the scan before it starts by pressing any key doesn't work... it starts automatically. Even more disturbing is when it is finished and Windows is loaded, one folder in particular on the drive and sometimes an entire partition becomes inaccessible. The worst occurrence was that the entire partition was reverted to "RAW" and I had to use a special recovery utility to recover the 85 gigs of data on it.

I've run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, both short and long tests, and the drive passes 100%. The drive doesn't suffer from high temps.

Sometimes when this happens, I can shut off the power via the power switch on the enclosure and then power it back on and everything works fine.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this? :scratch:
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Leif
Administrator

Re: Constant 'Check Disk" on reboot.

Post by Leif »

Pilgrim wrote:... a HDD I have installed in an external enclosure ...
How old is the drive?
Can you see how many sectors are marked as bad? It could be that it is beginning to fail.
Leif

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

Leif wrote:How old is the drive?
Can you see how many sectors are marked as bad? It could be that it is beginning to fail.
1. Age: c. 6 years old. WD 250 gig (1 of 2 I am using without any problems with either until now).
2. No sectors are marked as bad. Check Disk only finds alleged "files" that need to be moved which I think effectively wipes out the MFT, making it inaccessible. As stated above, I've run the WD Lifeguard Diagnostic utility, both short and long tests, and both show the drive as 100% good with no errors whatsoever.
Jeff

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

This has been pointed out about laptops and I had the experience a couple of months ago while repairing a friend's machine.

Try disconnecting or turning OFF the drive prior to booting, in other words boot the machine WITHOUT the drive. After boot completes, turn it back on and see if everything looks OK.

Don't know why but if I turned her laptop on with the external plugged in, the boot would fail. Without, it works OK. Turning the drive on AFTER boot and all is well.

I'm ignorant...

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

Al,

Yes, I have tried that but just not having the power off still evokes the Check Disk. I have to unplug the data (eSATA) cable else Check Disk still runs. Now, after Windows boots, I do get a prompt (popup window) asking if I want to correct errors on this drive. In this case, I can opt out, unlike when booting up. And yes, all works fine on the entire drive including the effected partition.

I would REALLY like to know what is causing this, e.g., the drive, the external enclosure, or whatever. I purchased a new WD Black 1 TB SATA III drive to replace this 250 gig drive just in case it is the drive that is going bad. But I'm a little reluctant to transfer 80+ gigs of data over to the new drive only to have the same problem... if you know what I mean, Vern? :grin:
Jeff

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Sometimes the dirty bit does not get cleared. See Chkdsk runs on every boot to reset the dirty bit.

I'd still suspect either the enclosure or the drive though.

Joe
Joe

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

Joe,

Thanks for the link for "Chkdsk runs on every boot". I had totally forgotten about that little trick. I also checked the entry in the Registry and yes indeed, that drive was scheduled for automatic Chkdsk scan... removed the drive letters so hopefully it won't run on boot.

I have had not had a good track record with external HDD enclosures. I've been through 4 in the past 2 years... all failed. I leave it on 24/7 and it sees constant use. Perhaps I should forget using an external enclosure and just stick with internal drives. The two reasons I have always had one are: 1) In case of fire, it is easier to grab the enclosure and run than to try and wrestle with a tower. And, 2) I'm a bit paranoid about destroying HDD's due to power outages, spikes, etc. To be honest "I" have never had a HDD ruined, perhaps because I have a very good power bar and I use high-end power supplies in all my boxes????

Any comments on any REAL advantages of using external enclosures/HDD setups would be appreciated.
Jeff

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

All the external drives that I've used are self-contained. I've not used any separate enclosures & drives. I've had good luck with the external drives I've used. Never lost one or had the weird sort of problem as you are seeing. I don't mess around with the drives. They are always connected.

Joe
Joe

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Pilgrim wrote:... Any comments on any REAL advantages of using external enclosures/HDD setups would be appreciated.
Here's a thread kinda on this subject. I never use enclosures and "build your own." I always (for several years) just buy the OTC USB externals. But their useful life has seemed to be about 18 months for me until failure.

I've now started disconnecting and turning power off on the drive that is NOT being used this week for daily backup. I don't know if that (heat containment) will help or not.

Why I Use TWO USB Backup Drives

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Pilgrim wrote: 1) In case of fire, it is easier to grab the enclosure and run ...
Hi Pilgrim. I've run two external USB drives for about 3 years now.
Each evening around 6pm I take them out of their box, plug them in, run the backup job, then power them off, and put them back in their box.

Their box: Is a 1 cu ft steel fire-resistant steel filing box I bought for about $20 22 years ago.
I figure that:
1) If there is a fire in the apartment, anything short of a Jumbo crashing in, the box will resist heat/fire/smoke damage long enough for the fire crews to get here and
2) I have enough to worry about (cat, passports etc.) without carting a couple of metal cartridges with me.
3) Keeping my backups in a locked box in a different room makes me think as I walk the 20 paces to get them, that if deleting an essential file was a stupid and careless thing to do, perhaps getting access to my backup drives might also be a stupid and careless thing to do, at least until I've had a cuppa tea and a bit of a lie-down.

IMHO backup drives should be mounted only while a backup is being made.
Or to obtain a recovery file, but even then, only after a few minutes quiet meditation.

P.S. I confess to worrying about being locked out of the building for several weeks while the Fire Marshall investigates.
When I had a house I kept the box by the window and figured that my one fleeing act (I had no pets) would be to toss the box through the glass and run.
Besides backups, the box holds passports, certificates, i.e. really my whole material identity.
Even today, it would make sense to herd pets out the door and lug the 10lb (?) box with me.
Perhaps I'd toss the box off the 4th floor balcony and then run.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle