clearing a computer for sale

jaystarter
3StarLounger

clearing a computer for sale

Post by jaystarter »

I want to sell on a laptop 3 years old. (VISTA home). Is there a way of clearing all the personal stuff and data and leave the operating system and installed progs intact? I have the install disc so could do a factory restore but I have added many updates including several BIOS updates to get the laptop running smoothly. Also the 3 month trial version of Office Home & Student was included originaly which I paid to unlock but no idea where the key is now. And several progs downloaded from internet so no install discs for those. I have the downloads on a seperate back up but again all the bother of reloading them with updates again would really be a chore. I thought maybe something like ERASER would work but no idea what to erase without damaging the wrong files.
Jeff

StuartR
Administrator

Re: clearing a computer for sale

Post by StuartR »

The only way to be sure is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I've never used it but I've read that you can find your install keys using this utility:
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

If you want to go further than reformat and reinstall you can use DBAN:
http://www.dban.org/
to completely clear the HDD, then reformat and reinstall.

My experience of the latter route is that just an OS disk may not be enough to fully revive the PC. You may also need to find and install various OEM drivers (e.g. for the onboard graphics / sound) as well.

Ken

(Edited by Leif to reformat URLs)

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have found that if a machine has a "System Recover" process, that it will do a real good job.
You do need to look for a "Windows.old" folder/file and delete it.

I have even done the recover twice so that the second Windows old would just be a clean factory install. BUT, you must delete the Windows.old before the second recover.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

jaystarter wrote:Is there a way of clearing all the personal stuff and data and leave the operating system and installed progs intact? I have the install disc so could do a factory restore but I have added many updates including several BIOS updates to get the laptop running smoothly. Also the 3 month trial version of Office Home & Student was included originaly which I paid to unlock but no idea where the key is now.
I agree with the guys, a factory restore followed by a huge Windows update session may be your best option. Apart from anything else, I don't think you're allowed to sell on a software license like your Office install.

disclaimer: you might see things in a different light if you're selling on to someone who'll use you as technical support for the rest of eternity (granny, auntie etc) :flee:
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Thanks all for responses.It seems the only sure way to not leave any info is to do a clean install. Very annoying and time consuming.
Jeff

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

So with your new pc/laptop, remember to take a backup image of it when it arrives so you can quickly restore it to its original condition when you dispose of it in three years time!
Leif

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

A clean install doesn't have to be annoying and time consumming. After all you do not want to customize it for your use. You just want to install the basic Windows app, and perhaps download available updates. This shouldn't take too much longer than installing the OS.

Leif's suggestion on Imaging is a great suggestion, but I would take it further and say reimage any time you make changes to the OS or apps, i.e. updates or new apps, etc. This way you will always have an Up To Date image so if something really bad happens you can be back in about 10 minutes.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

BobinTexas
NewLounger

Post by BobinTexas »

A reformat and reinstall will NOT remove your data. It won't be easy to access but a determined, informed user will be able to retrieve it. If you've ever used the laptop for online purchasing or electronic banking, it is dangerous to leave your data there.

They only way to remove data effectively is to rewrite the entire drive with binary zeroes. I believe that you can do this with CCleaner (might be Defraggler; don't recall for sure). Of course, this leaves no os or apps on the machine so you will have to reinstall Vista and all apps.

I know nothing about student licenses and their resale; however I've used BelArc Advisor to retrieve license keys successfully. It is a free download. Run it and record results before you do anything else.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobinTexas wrote:A reformat and reinstall will NOT remove your data. It won't be easy to access but a determined, informed user will be able to retrieve it. If you've ever used the laptop for online purchasing or electronic banking, it is dangerous to leave your data there.

They only way to remove data effectively is to rewrite the entire drive with binary zeroes. I believe that you can do this with CCleaner (might be Defraggler; don't recall for sure). Of course, this leaves no os or apps on the machine so you will have to reinstall Vista and all apps.

I know nothing about student licenses and their resale; however I've used BelArc Advisor to retrieve license keys successfully. It is a free download. Run it and record results before you do anything else.
A well respected and thorough drive ERASER is "Darik's Boot & Nuke"
This can not only rewrite all zeros ( only one pass can still be beaten ) with a number of passes but you can choose other algorithms like alternate ones and zeros or random patterns. The number of passes can be set to equal the Government DOD specs for secure drive and DVD\CD erasures.
(7, I think. )

http://download.cnet.com/Darik-s-Boot-a ... 51762.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

viking33 wrote:A well respected and thorough drive ERASER is "Darik's Boot & Nuke"
Already mentioned above in
Post 54532

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

stuck wrote:
viking33 wrote:A well respected and thorough drive ERASER is "Darik's Boot & Nuke"
Already mentioned above in
Post 54532

Ken
Missed that, Ken.
Two recommendations are better than one? :innocent: :grin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

A little late to the party, but if you are comfortable with manually removing your data from all the many and varied places programs and the OS store it, cCleaner has a drive wipe setting to Gutman standards (35 passes), that will wipe all the freespace on your drive. It will not, however, seek out and delet data.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.