Floating period

jmt356
SilverLounger

Floating period

Post by jmt356 »

On some keyboards, I have seen a key for a floating period--that is, a period that is slightly raised above the line. It's usually used to separate two words or phrases, but not to indicate the end of a sentence. Does anyone know what this character is called so I can Google "how to type "X" on my keyboard" (where "X" is the name of the character I'm looking for)?
Regards,

JMT

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Re: Floating period

Post by Roderunner »

Would it be the one 2 to the right of 'L' key.?
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I've not seen a character such as that on an American keyboard.

But, how about this one ······· as opposed to ...... ?

That first one is Unicode 00B7 and if you're macro aware you could easily program its use with a hot key.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I should have added so you don't have to ask. I use the FREE UtilFr – Clavier+ 10.6.2

And with hot keys I'm able to easily type € £ ä ½ and many others.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

And if you just want to use the keyboard without additional software, try Alt+0183 to give the same · as Al.

(Hold down the Alt key and enter
using the numeric keypad on the right, not the numbered keys along the top of the keyboard.)
Leif

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I would have searched the Windows Character Map, or if inside a Word doc clicked on Insert |Symbol.

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

You and Leif already know this, Ken, but just in case JMT doesn't:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

What is the name of that symbol called? Floating period? Is it not on the international keyboard so that I can avoid the hassle of using unicode or a macro?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As you can see in Bigaldoc's screenshot, it is named Middle Dot.
I am not aware of a keyboard layout that includes the middle dot.
As mentioned by Leif, you can type Alt+0183 (using the digits on the numeric keypad) to insert it.
In Microsoft Word, you can also type B7 followed by Alt+x.
Using a utility such as Clavier, mentioned by Bigaldoc, you can assign a shortcut key to middle dot (or any other character).
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

In the old days when people got taught proper maths, the "middle dot" was actually a decimal point, as in 3·14159, not a full stop, as in 2.71828.
The latter full stop/period usage is almost universal now, because typewriter and computer keyboards do not have a key bearing a proper decimal point...

And yes, I know that some lands use the 'decimal comma' - but I doubt that this was centrally positioned in the vertical plane!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In the old days when I studied mathematics, the middle dot was used to indicate multiplication: 3·4 = 12.
A cross × is (was) also used: 3×4 = 12, but mathematicians prefer the shorter · (and omit it altogether if possible).
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

HansV wrote:In the old days when I studied mathematics, the middle dot was used to indicate multiplication: 3·4 = 12.
Agreed - there was a dual usage; but the specification of any decimal number like 1·41421, or even 2·99792458×108 was highly unlikely to be interpreted as a multiplicative action!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I have an HP G62 laptop which has no embedded keyboard and no num lock (that I can find). Does this mean I can't use alt+0183 (using the digits on the numeric keypad) to insert Middle Dot?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Most laptops that do not have a separate numeric keypad have one embedded in the main keyboard; it can be activated by pressing the Fn key then one of the function keys. If your laptop doesn't have that, you can still use the Character Map accessory to select the middle dot character and to copy it to the clipboard, ready to be pasted into any application. Character map can be selected by clicking Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map. If you use it frequently, you may want to pin it to the Start menu or to the taskbar, or create a desktop shortcut.
Best wishes,
Hans