No ports found error

silverback
5StarLounger

No ports found error

Post by silverback »

I don't know if this is a Microsoft problem but I'm putting it here just in case, because loungers are so knowledgeable I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

I have some (Anquet) digital maps of the UK plus a handheld Garmin GPS which connects to a PC via USB. The maps enable me to plot a path and then download the path - as a set of waypoints - to the GPS. Alternatively, if I've been on a walk and generated a track on the GPS, the track can be uploaded into Anquet Maps where it's stored as a path. This setup worked perfectly on my old PC which ran on Windows 2000. Then I got a new Dell PC (Windows XP Professional) and the system has not worked since.

When I connect the GPS to the Dell it works OK - I have proved this by downloading some info from a Garmin application; in addition, MS Device Manager says that the GPS is connected and working OK.
However, when I try to connect Anquet maps to the GPS, it errors :

No ports found. No COM ports or connected USB devices were found on your computer.
The operation has has been aborted.

Please check the configuration of your computer and try again.

The Dell PC has four USB ports at the back, two at the front and another four on the Dell monitor. I have tried the GPS in all the USB ports but the result is the same, regardless.
I have found some 'funnies' with the USB setup on the Dell; I plug my keyboard into one of the monitor USB slots, but in this position, the PC will not accept interrupts during booting, so if I want to boot the PC in safe mode, for example, I have to plug the keyboard into one of the USB slots on the PC. Also, I have a Microsoft keyboard with a PS2 connector which I used successfully on the old PC; the Dell PC does not have any PS2 connectors. So I purchased a PS2 to USB converter, but the system will not recognise the keyboard whichever USB slot is used. (I mention this because I don't know if it could be a manifestation of the problem which is stopping the GPS being recognised.)

I've tried to sort this out before but got nowhere and, because the maps are not now the current version, Anquet support is not interested and won't help. The maps cost almost £200 but they now have very limited use for walks planning.

Has anyone got any suggestions which might help with this problem, please?
Thanks
Silverback

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: No ports found error

Post by DaveA »

What version is your Anquet program?
From http://www.anquet.co.uk/system-requirements.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
System Requirements - Anquet v06
PC System Requirements
Operating System: Windows Vista (all versions including x64), Windows 7 (all versions including x64), Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home.

Memory: Minimum 512Mb, but 1GB or more is recommended.
Video: To run the Anquet Maps Virtual Landscape (3D), you will need a DirectX 9 compatible graphics card. DirectX is a Microsoft graphics library, which is supported by just about all new graphics cards.
Disk space: as an example, to install the whole of Great Britain at 1:50,000 scale will require approximately 3.5GB of disk space. To install one of our regional 1:50,000 products it will require approximately 600Mb.
Internet: We recommend a broadband internet connection for downloading maps and unlocking your purchases.
I get 31,700 hits on "anquet maps windows xp" without quotes at Google.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Version is 1.2.20 - but is was the current version when I got my Dell PC (and stopped working). They were just switching over to a new version at the time - hence the lack of interest by the support team.
Silverback

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

silverback wrote:Has anyone got any suggestions which might help with this problem, please?
First, I know nothing about this GPS or the map software.

There is not much difference between the OS versions that could explain this, as you might guess, so it's probably due to hardware and/or BIOS and its settings; or perhaps a mix with the software. Is this a USB to USB connection (some do use a RS-232, i.e. a serial port)?

First a simple question that perhaps shouldn't matter; you say that the GPS works when connected; as for using it with the maps, have you tried having the GPS connected at startup (when booting the PC)?

Have you tried reinstalling the software, Anquet maps?

You could try looking at the Device Manger in Windows, showing non present devices. This "mode" shows all the usual devices as well as devices that have been connected at some point, such as USB memories etc. Since you have tried it at different ports, you might see several "ghost" entries. One way could be to delete these and let it try to find the device again.

At the Command Prompt type (and press Enter): set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
Type (and press Enter): start devmgmt.msc

Select Show hidden devices on the View menu, in the Device Manager. Installed devices that are not connected at the moment are "dimmed", if you compare with the other icons. What do you see?

For some general advices about USB troubleshooting, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575/en-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for your keyboard and your thoughts about that one, some brands (desktops) can be almost as special, tricky and odd as laptops; someone mentioned that the keyboard had to be plugged in to one particular USB port, top left at the back. However, some have had problems with failing USB ports or other related problems on the Dimension, and apparently there was a BIOS update that solved some problems. It's a bit old, but probably the last for that desktop; if the PC has the original, first, BIOS it could perhaps be worth upgrading it, if you find similarities with their cases. I'm not sure the GPS is related to the BIOS fix.
http://en.community.dell.com/dell-group ... 55640.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.