Temp files

silverback
5StarLounger

Temp files

Post by silverback »

My PC is running on Windows XP.
The system builds up .tmp files and ~xxxx.tmp files.

If I build up a list of these using the Search function, is it always safe to delete all of them, with the exception of files created today?

The same question applies to Temp folders, which also seem to be proliferating.

Thanks
Silverback

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Temp files

Post by John Gray »

You could use CCleaner, or just open a Command Prompt Window, change to C:\, and do del *.tmp /s. (Be careful to type that right...)
Any "in-use" files won't get deleted - I can't see any point in not deleting tmp files created today, if not in use.
Last edited by John Gray on 17 Jan 2011, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You shouldn't indiscriminately delete ALL .tmp files. For example, C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Office contains files named fbcnnn.tmp where nnn is a number; you should leave these alone.

I'd use a utility such as CCleaner; with the default settings it'll only delete temporary files that are safe to be removed.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

HansV wrote:You shouldn't indiscriminately delete ALL .tmp files.
I've run a BATch file on a couple of XP boxes the same time each day for at least a couple of years which does the command I indicated in my original post, and never experienced any problems!

I'm still investigating Windows 7 files with extensions like .TMPxxx - but they don't get deleted anyway.
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have a somewhat hazy memory that I once caused Office XP to reconfigure itself by deleting the .tmp files in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Office, but my memory might well be faulty.
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

John, Hans
Thank you for your interest and postings. I've downloaded CCleaner and run it. It's deleted a lot of files - including a lot of log files from an earlier version of AVG which had not been deleted when installing AVG2011, which is better than just .tmp files because I wouldn't have found/deleted these files using Search.
I shall just use CCleaner to get rid of unwanted files in the future.

I haven't used it to tidy the Registry because I've had System Restore switched off as a result of experimentation resulting from another posting. Is CCleaner OK to use for registry cleaning? I've had a very nasty experience with another Registry cleaner which was way too enthusiastic in removing 'redundant' items.

Thanks for your help
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

CCleaner's registry cleaner is very "cautious" - I've never had it cause a problem. (It doesn't remove much, actually)
Best wishes,
Hans

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

Hi all, new to Eileen's, Gold Lounger at Windows Secrets Lounge. Got tired of the latest change. Seem to be discriminating against us older timers. Oh well, what can you do.

Anyway, not only do I use CCleaner, but also use use Privacy Mantra by CodeOde. This seems to find some things CCleaner does not and vice versa.
Last edited by tedshemyers on 20 Jan 2011, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge, Ted!

I hope you'll enjoy our little board, but we don't have any thumbs-up points for you... :smile:
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

tedshemyers wrote:Hi all, new to Eileen's...
Welcome to Eileen's Lounge. Come in, put your feet up and join in the discussions. You can even ask and answer technical questions if that's your thing.
StuartR

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

HansV wrote:Welcome to Eileen's Lounge, Ted!

I hope you'll enjoy our little board, but we don't have any thumbs-up points for you... :smile:
It really wasn't the have or don't have thumbs up points, but the fact they were ripped away after much work to get them. The new system for Junior member and Senior member is a joke.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

HansV and StuartR thanks for the welcome. I will contribute as my ability and time allows
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Welcome, Ted. As Stuart said, we're more feet up than thumbs up here :grin:
Leif

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

tedshemyers wrote:not only do I use CCleaner, but also use Privacy Mantra by CodeOde. This seems to find some things CCleaner does not and vice versa.
I note that their website says
Database version 58, consists of 75 privacy threats. Last updated 2010-9-6.
The date seems a long time ago...?

Ken

Just Plain Fred
NewLounger

Post by Just Plain Fred »

tedshemyers wrote: Privacy Mantra by CodeOde. This seems to find some things CCleaner does not and vice versa.
Hey Ted,
Thanks for the link... will give it a try
:cheers: Regards Fred

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

stuck wrote:
tedshemyers wrote:not only do I use CCleaner, but also use Privacy Mantra by CodeOde. This seems to find some things CCleaner does not and vice versa.
I note that their website says
Database version 58, consists of 75 privacy threats. Last updated 2010-9-6.
The date seems a long time ago...?

Ken
I use Privacy Mantra similarly to CCleaner in that I clean up temp stuff with it. For this purpose it works just fine.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

tedshemyers wrote:Hi all, new to Eileen's, Gold Lounger at Windows Secrets Lounge. Got tired of the latest change. Seem to be discriminating against us older timers. Oh well, what can you do.

Anyway, not only do I use CCleaner, but also use use Privacy Mantra by CodeOde. This seems to find some things CCleaner does not and vice versa.
Welcome to Eileen's Lounge Ted. :fanfare:

I remember getting some advice from you when I belonged to the other Lounge. I hope you find this more hospitable and to your liking. I hope to hear from you soon to get your valuable advice.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!