Desktop fences

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Desktop fences

Post by agibsonsw »

I'm liking this desktop tool called fences http://www.stardock.com/products/fences ... ref=fa_101

They help to organise your desktop shortcuts.
vistashot.jpg
(The jpeg screenshot is much smaller than the png version - I thought this would be the other way round?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Desktop fences

Post by HansV »

agibsonsw wrote:(The jpeg screenshot is much smaller than the png version - I thought this would be the other way round?)
My guess is that this is caused by the color gradations on the desktop, which make this image closer to a photograph than to more traditional computer screens.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

This is not just a Vista thing, the website says:
What are Fences' System Requirements?
Fences runs on all of Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. On Vista and Win7, both 32bit and 64bit versions are supported.

So should this thread be moved to Other Apps?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I've moved it to Windows General.

(I see that downloading Fences requires installation of Impulse. Does anyone have experience with that? I'm generally not fond of such intermediaries.)
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I've installed it on a couple of systems and do not recall having to install Impulse. I just followed the download link for the free version.

Joe
Joe

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I believe I installed it without impulse.

It's been nice so far although I would like an option to collapse the fences. I couldn't see such an option but maybe a future update might enable this.

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks! Perhaps Impulse is only needed for the non-free Pro version.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I have installed it as well today. I really liked manually creating my own "fences" as I didn't care for the default 2 squares on either side etc. Mine are longer and more streamlined. I also love the option of double clicking and having them totally disappear (unless you opt to keep some of them full time on your desktop) and another double clicking brings them back. Talk about tidying a desktop. I now have an unfettered view of my beautiful Monet "Cliff Walk at Pourville."
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Isn't that something that came with PC DOS 1.0? Called Directory Trees?

I feel OLD. Very, very OLD ! ! ! !
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

It resembles this, a bit. :grin: (I've heard about Stardock's Fences earlier; guess it might be useful if you keep a lot of things on your Desktop, and want them even more organized.)

Bob, directory tree, this?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Arrrggggguuusssss!!!

Groan!

Yes! Older than dirt I am!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BigKev
StarLounger

Post by BigKev »

HansV wrote:Thanks! Perhaps Impulse is only needed for the non-free Pro version.
I have the non-Free Pro version and yes, Hans is correct, you only need Impulse for the paid version. As for the ability to collapse a Fence you can set the Opacity such that a Fence only appears on Mouse-Over.

I'm not sure if this is available in the free version but it will be simple to find out.

Regards,
Fences.png
Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

agibsonsw wrote:I'm liking this desktop tool called fences http://www.stardock.com/products/fences ... ref=fa_101
Thanks for this link! I've signed up for Fences Pro, which lets me adjust the opacity of individual fences, and set them so they come up full strength on a mouse-over. Very helpful to organize my multiple desktop icons.
Sundog

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

I've been using the Fences Pro version for several months and really like it. I normally don't store much of anything on my Desktop (aka: neatnik) but this little application allows me to do so for quick reference/accessibility. I have my fences set for 100% transparency so I never see what I have on my Desktop until I mouse over one of the fences. Double-clicking on the Desktop hides everything, i.e., whatever isn't stored in a fence. Double-clicking again displays the items again.

And yes, Impulse is only needed when using the Pro version. Impulse is Stardock's "portal" for their products where you can download updates, purchase products, etc.
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Being either an innovator and early adopter (or a tag-along-Tom, whatever), I installed Fences after reading this thread. My first impulse was not to do it, but then I looked at my desktop and thought it might help. And, it probably will help if I ever find the round tuit and use the fences to bring order out of the chaos it inherited (assuming that is possible for a mere human).

At any rate, I now find that the topmost half inch or so of my laptop display is unused - there is a black band going right across it. This was not the case before installing Fences. It appears regardless of what applications are loaded or active. The area is actually a bit wider than the title bar in applications.

I was wondering if I am alone in this phenomenon or if other Fenceurs are experiencing the same. I tried to take a screenshot but the app doesn't show that area of the screen in what it captures. I've checked display settings and found nothing unusual or recognizably in error.

If anyone has any ideas as to what might be causing this loss of screen geography, I would appreciate suggestions. It is not really limiting my use of the system significantly. It's just that things like this make me a bit paranoid. OK - a LOT paranoid.

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

My only black bars are those at the top of the fence categories [Pro version].
Sundog

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I've not had any problem with the fences so far. Perhaps changing the screen-resolution, reducing it and then putting it back to the original, might resolve it.

If that doesn't resolve the problem then perhaps it might be best to uninstall fences - I wouldn't fancing surrendering part of my laptop screen.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I removed fences and reset the screen size options and all is well. When I am again feeling adventuresome, I'll try installing fences again. Somehow it set by screen size options to its own specification and not the ones I use, but they were close enough that I didn't notice it in most displays.

At least now the full screen in in use.

Thanks for the feedback.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Just Plain Fred
NewLounger

Post by Just Plain Fred »

Hello all,
I found this and think that it is by far a better option ...also free http://www.sillysot.com/ I use this on Vista and "7" 64 and 32 :cheers: Regards Fred