Very small font

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Very small font

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
Would someone recommend a font that's looks reasonable when very small (5 point!)?
Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Very small font

Post by HansV »

I think 7 points is the minimum if you want something that's readable (with a bit of effort). With 5 points size, you'll sacrifice too much.

Windows comes with a font called Small Fonts. Here is what it looks like in 5, 6 and 7 points size:
SmallFonts.png
It's not available in Word, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There's a free font containing 5-point caps only that looks quite nice: Silkscreen is a small free font for your Web graphics.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Peter S
NewLounger

Post by Peter S »

For what it's worth:

My Communications lecturer stated (many years ago): If you want people to read AND REMEMBER what you write, use cerife fonts (Such as Times New Roman). Non-cerife fonts (such as Arial) can be used for light reading. (Perhaps that is why most news papers and text books, to this day, do not use non-cerife fonts?)

Apparently, the cerifes force your brain to scan the text slower, hence (apparently) improving retention of the written message.

The smaller the font, the more the presence of cerifes will "clutter" the text and make it less easy to read. So, the smaller the font, the better-suited a non-cerife font will be. Arial will therefore be better than Times New Roman at size 5, but retention of what is read will be less: So, it's a trade off: Is the size of the font more important than ensuring the reader remembers what is read?

Edit: To correct typos.
(My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core CPU; MSI X570-A PRO Mobo; Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 32GB RAM; 2TB Corsair Force Series MP600 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD. 1TB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; Nvidia GeForce TX 2060 Super Ventus Graphics Card (SLI); Microsoft 365 Home; Condusiv SSDKeeper Professional; Acronis TI 2020 Premium, VMWare Workstation 15 Player. HP 1TB USB SSD External Backup Drive). Dell G-Sync 144Hz Monitor.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Peter,

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Serif fonts generally give the individual lines a clearer identity, so the eye is guided along the lines. Text set in a non-serif font tends to become a single block.

But nowadays, the distinction is less clear - for Windows Vista and Office 2007, Microsoft introduced fonts such as Calibri (non-serif, but with clearly identified lines) and Cambria (rather light serifs) that work well both on the computer screen and in print.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

agibsonsw wrote:Would someone recommend a font that's looks reasonable when very small (5 point!)?
Well, Andy, if your hand-writing is failry neat there's always How to turn your handwriting into an email font
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

But even failry neat handwriting will probably be hard to read at 5 point size...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:But even failry neat
I rest my (lower) case.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Post by ChrisJakarta »

On a related topic, the designer of Comic Sans (the font that everyone loves to hate) was recently interviewed on the BBC. He stated that readers remember MORE when the fonts are difficult to read. Don't know if this is evidence-based.

Chris

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

My hatred for Comic Sans (which I quite like, when not overused) pales into insignificance when compared with my loathing of Algerian... (In at #12 in A Plea From 16 Most Overused Fonts.) Thank heaven that Microsoft didn't supply it in Office 2010.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps the only advantage of 5 points font size is that Algerian becomes completely unreadable...
z.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans