Latest Windows Update

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Latest Windows Update

Post by Gloria E »

Has anyone installed the newest updates? If so, did they create any kind of problems?

I visited Ask Woody and was advised not to install them yet unless their was a dire need.

Are there any that should be avoided? I have 13 pending updates: important, critical & moderate.

Thanks for your help,

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Latest Windows Update

Post by HansV »

Woody Leonhard has been giving the same advice month in, month out for years now: the sky will fall on your head if you install the latest updates.

I always install the updates both at home and at work immediately after they are released. I don't know enough about the technical details to decide which ones I should install and which ones I shouldn't, so I simply install all updates. The last time I had a problem with an update from Microsoft was in April, 2003.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I can only echo what Hans says above. I really don't know why I hesitate to turn on automatic updates. Just to maintain some semblance of control maybe?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

The only updates problem I can remember in the last few years was last Thursday, when one server had its main NIC stuffed* by, presumably, one of the updates involving TCP, and it lost its 192.168.0.2 address. A(nother) reboot didn't fix it, and I had to disable and enable the network card before it sprang back into life.

* 'stuffed': UK slang for 'rendered functionally inoperative'
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

PaulB wrote:I can only echo what Hans says above. I really don't know why I hesitate to turn on automatic updates. Just to maintain some semblance of control maybe?
No way would I turn on automatic updates. It gives Microsoft too much freedom to install things that I don't want or need. Even if you set not to install just tell you what they are, Microsoft sometimes ignores your wishes and installs are made any way.

I'm the queen of this computer and I'm not sharing my throne. :fanfare:

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I for one quit paying attention to Woody's opinion years ago. He's a "Chicken Little, the sky is falling" kinda guy, an alarmist or whatever else you might want to add.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gloria E wrote:I'm the queen of this computer and I'm not sharing my throne.
I thought you were a Duchess? :scratch: :innocent:
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

John Gray wrote:The only updates problem I can remember in the last few years was last Thursday...
Must be a Microsoft (U.K.) thing. :evilgrin: :innocent:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Gloria,
"install things that I don't want or need"

Post 3 things that Microsoft would have installed that you do not need or want since you started using Windows 7?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I too have installed the updates both at work & at home with no adverse effects.

Joe
Joe

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

PaulB wrote:I can only echo what Hans says above. I really don't know why I hesitate to turn on automatic updates. Just to maintain some semblance of control maybe?
I check for updates manually, usually every month around update Tuesday. ( and install most if not all )
At any rate, I went into the Windows update settings and discovered that it is set for NEVER check and the drop down box is grayed out, so I couldn't change it if I wanted to do so? Win update is enabled in the Services Page but that's about it. I do have UAC disabled.
This doesn't bother me, just wonder why I don't have the option to change it? :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

viking33 wrote:This doesn't bother me, just wonder why I don't have the option to change it? :scratch:
Does Automatic Updates options are greyed out? shed any light on it?
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:
viking33 wrote:This doesn't bother me, just wonder why I don't have the option to change it? :scratch:
Does Automatic Updates options are greyed out? shed any light on it?
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ WindowsUpdate \ AU

In the right-pane, delete the two values AUOptions and NoAutoUpdate

Navigate to this location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ WindowsUpdate

In the right-pane, delete the value DisableWindowsUpdateAccess

Yes, The "NoAutoUpdate" value was there, so I deleted it. All of the other values were not even mentioned but deleting that one other value seemed to do it. ( I still left it at NEVER check in the settings page but at least this gave me the option to change it if I wish. ) Thank You, sir !
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:
Gloria E wrote:I'm the queen of this computer and I'm not sharing my throne.
I thought you were a Duchess? :scratch: :innocent:
I am to you and others, but at home I'm known as the Queen of my domain. And my computer is part of my domain as well as my castle, servants and other half. :rofl:

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

DaveA wrote:Gloria,
"install things that I don't want or need"

Post 3 things that Microsoft would have installed that you do not need or want since you started using Windows 7?
Can't do that Dave. I've never used automatic updates. Just read other posts on this and other forums and decided not to trust it.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

All updates that you have not installed will still be listed when you check manually.
Those that you have hidden can also be viewed, so YES you can do.

If you do not have any hidden and there is NO updates listed when you do a manual check, then you have installed ALL updates.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

StoneChucker
StarLounger

Post by StoneChucker »

The only time I've ever had a problem with Automatic Updates was with specifically designed in-house software for a GIS related database accessed via Internet Explorer. As this was a business setting for a select few PCs in the corporation, their PCs were changed to not automatically install the updates as they were mission-critical units. Only after the IT staff has reviewed and tested all updates do these few PCs get the updates.

All other PCs in the corporation have autoupdate enabled, and as far as I know, haven't had any problems (yet).

Christopher