Is it safe to delete certain files?

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Is it safe to delete certain files?

Post by Gloria E »

I've searched Google and found articles that said it was safe to remove certain files like .png; jpg; and bmp. I'm asking here because I know I will receive the correct information.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Is it safe to delete certain files?

Post by HansV »

Files with extension .png, .jpg and .bmp are images (pictures). Generally speaking, you won't harm your system if you delete them, but that doesn't mean that you should indiscriminately delete ALL files with those extensions from your hard disk.

In the first place, I'd leave all image files in your Windows folder alone, as well as those in the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders. Images in those folders have been installed by Windows or by applications for a reason.

Images in your My Pictures folder are safe to delete, but make sure you don't accidentally delete pictures that you would like to keep - family photographs, vacation snapshots etc.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Re: Is it safe to delete certain files?

Post by Gloria E »

I agree with you Hans. Although safe to remove, I'll leave them alone. I'm glad I asked before I did something I might have regretted, all image files are now safe from me.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!