Windows Media Centre - Ripping discs

aekyall
4StarLounger

Windows Media Centre - Ripping discs

Post by aekyall »

Windows 7 WMC:

When ripping albums that have 2 CDs (I'm referring to classical music discs), WMP seems to overwrite what I have already ripped on Disc 1 with the content of Disc 2!! As an example, if Disc 1 of an album has 12 tracks and Disc 2 9 tracks, then of the 12 tracks finally showing in WMP, tracks 1 - 9 will be from Disc 2 and 10 - 12 will remain from Disc 1. For some reason WMP is not recognising that the album consists of 2 different CDs with different content - Is this a WMP problem or perhaps one caused by manufacturer of albums not including sufficient data on disc to allow WMP to pick up on the fact?

When I had Windows media player v12 on an XP machine I think I had the ability to edit the title of discs to make them different, thus avoiding discs being overwritten - I cannot seem to find any such option within WMC - Confused (as usual), any help please?

With thanks,
Regards,
Keith

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Windows Media Centre - Ripping discs

Post by DaveA »

The following is from the Help on "Ripping"
To add or edit media information after ripping
Connect to the Internet.

If media information is missing because you weren't connected to the Internet during ripping, the media information typically will appear for the newly ripped tracks soon after you connect to the Internet. If it doesn't, or if the information isn't correct, continue with the following steps to add or edit the information. If you don't have Internet access, you can manually edit the media information.

Click the Start button , click All Programs, and then click Windows Media Player.

If the Player is currently open and you’re in Now Playing mode, click the Switch to Library button in the upper-right corner of the Player.

In the Player Library, browse to the album you just ripped.

Right-click the album, and then click Find album info.

If you get an error message that says you must change your privacy settings, do the following:

Click Organize, click Options, and then click the Privacy tab.

Select the Update music files by retrieving media info from the Internet check box.

Repeat steps 3 and 4.

Do one of the following:

If the correct album or artist information appears in the search results, select the correct entry, and then follow the instructions on the page to automatically update the album art and media information. If the correct album doesn't appear in the search results, follow the instructions on the page to search again using different search criteria or to add the media information manually.

If the correct album information appears with a generic music icon displayed as the album art, then the album art isn't available for download.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

DaveA,
Thanks for the pointers - Got there in the end. Ripped disc1 (which already had correct info listed) then inserted disc 2. But before ripping it I right clicked on the album and selected 'find album info' - It initially found the info for disc1 but directly underneath it was the album info for disc 2 so I just selected disc 2 and then ripped it. All was well and I now have disc 1 and 2 on WMP with correct number of tracks on each and with the correct information on both. :thankyou:

Edited: Some additional information. When you load disc 1 of a multi disc set (and are connected to the internet) and the internet database doesn't have relevant info in it, then the CD sleeve cover area will contain the representation of a musical note. In this case, before ripping the CD, right click the sleeve cover area and select 'Find album info'. Don't bother searching for correct info, just scroll down to bottom of the search section and select 'Edit the information manually' Tick the box 'This is a multi disc set' and make sure that the number shown is '1' - Select 'done' and 'finish' and then rip disc 1. When finished, load disc 2 - it should automatically be shown as disc 2 of the set but if you want to make doubly sure, again right click the sleeve cover area and follow previous steps above, this time ensuring that the disc is noted as being number 2. When you've finished you should end up with both discs listed separately. HTH
Last edited by aekyall on 17 Jul 2010, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, this may help others wrestling with the same problem too!
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

And I do NOT do any ripping of CDs, that is what I have a stereo for. :evilgrin: :flee:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living