DirectX Updates

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

DirectX Updates

Post by ChrisJakarta »

I have three computers running XP that run an application which uses DirectX. A recent update of this program on one ran a check for DirectX updates and appeared to download/update several files. That caused me to attempt to recall the last time I found a DirectX update among my regular Windows updates - and I can't seem to remember any. So I checked Microsoft, and found DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer, dated 6/8/2010. This also refers to a June 2010 update of DirectX runtime. I downloaded this (over 100MB), and ran it on the two other computers, and it reported it was updating several files. Running it again, appeared to re-update the same files! Running DXDIAG gave a very confusing report.

So I guess my questions ares: should DirectX be updated by Windows Update? How should this work? Does it matter? How do I find out if updates are needed?

Chris

HansV
Administrator

Re: DirectX Updates

Post by HansV »

Updates to DirectX are distributed by Microsoft Update, but they might be classified as Optional rather than High Priority. Take a look at http://update.microsoft.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and click Custom, not Express.

Be careful with direct downloads - there are several versions of DirectX, and you should get the correct version. I'd prefer to rely on Microsoft Update.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Post by ChrisJakarta »

Hans,

I'm sure you're right. but... I always use Custom, and I'm relatively certain that no updates of any nature were offered for DirectX in February 2010 (the date of the previous update file) and I'm completely certain that none was offered in this month's updates. Like you. I'd prefer to rely on Microsoft update, but the question is: Can I?

Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Let's put it this way: I never go looking for updates to DirectX myself, and I haven't experienced problems.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Microsoft regularly releases updates to DirectX 9.0c. Most of the time these updates do not appear in Windows Update. Unfortunately, for end users there is little documentation available about any single release. So, unless you are having an issue with DirectX there is no need to install the update. If you are doing DirectX development you should check out the DirectX Developer Center.

On the occasions when I've installed DirectX updates I've had better luck using Download details: DirectX Redist (June 2010) rather than the web installer.

Joe
Joe