windows search v4 & identity logon

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

windows search v4 & identity logon

Post by stuck »

I installed Windows search v4 as part of my 'get my XP MCE 2005 clean install up to date' project. Seems OK and an improvement on the original XP search feature.

Prior to this the PC booted to the desktop and only when the user launched Outlook Express did the 'Identity Logon' dialog appear. Now this dialog appears as the final step of the boot sequence. It ends up as a minimised button on the Taskbar.

My Googling has failed to find out how to stop this behaviour and either make the dialog appear in the middle of the screen or better still stay away until it's needed when mail is being checked.

Any ideas?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: windows search v4 & identity logon

Post by HansV »

If Windows Search indexes your e-mails, it probably needs you to log on in order to do so. If you set Windows Search not to index e-mails, you'd probably not see the login dialog. The decision is up to you...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

That's what I thought too but I've already removed emails from the index and that hasn't restored the previous behaviour.

It's not really a problem, since in my configuration an identity has to be selected before the mail can be checked anyway and invariably when the PC is booted the mail will be checked soon thereafter. It's just that this behaviour is different and someone dear to me doesn't like it when the PC behaves differently. :whisper: Somehow that makes it all new and that means learning how to use it all over again.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Strange - I would have expected the prompt to stop, based on the reply by a Microsoft employee in Windows Search 4.0 startup question. If not, you (and someone dear to you) will have to live with it (or do without Windows Search).
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Search v4 also seems to index an IE temp folder I wonder if that's got anything to do with it. I can't seem to remove that IE entry from the list of locations in the same way I could remove the OE location.

I shall just have to encourage someone to adapt to the PC's 'new' behaviour. I mean, how hard can it be to select your identity at boot rather than a few seconds later after you've clicked on the OE icon? :shrug:

Ken

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

To disable the IE temp folders you need to have Windows Explorer set to display hidden & system folders. In Windows Explorer go to Tools | Folder Options | View. Make sure the "Show hidden files and folders" is selected and that "Hide protected operating system files" is not checked.

Well - ignore the above. I tried it and the folders still don't show. Sorry :blush:

You should be able to clear the "Local Settings" checkbox though and that should do it.

Joe
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Thanks, I'll have another look at unticking the 'Local Settings' but I thought I'd tried that. I agree that setting Explorer to show hidden files doesn't help - I know I'd already tried that!

Ken