Windows Installer

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Windows Installer

Post by Gloria E »

How does one determine which version of windows installer is installed? I've searched the computer and it's not found anywhere.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Installer

Post by HansV »

Why do you need to know? :scratch:

It's the file msi.dll in C:\Windows\System32. You'll see the version if you hover the mouse pointer over this file in Windows Explorer, and also if you right-click it, select Properties from the popup menu, and activate the Details tab.

Please don't mess with this file.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you are running Windows 7 you have version 5.0 of the installer. See Released Versions of Windows Installer (Windows) for details of installer releases and comments.

As Hans said, please don't mess with the installer.

Joe
Joe

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Post by ChrisJakarta »

JoeP wrote:If you are running Windows 7 you have version 5.0 of the installer. See Released Versions of Windows Installer (Windows) for details of installer releases and comments.

As Hans said, please don't mess with the installer.

Joe
I'm running Windows XP SP3. The version of msi.dll I have is 3.1.4001.5512. The link you provided seems to suggest that version 4.5.6001.22159 is now the appropriate version for this installation. Do I assume that it is not important, even dangerous, to upgrade?

Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you install an application that needs a newer version of Windows Installer it should inform you; I'd leave it alone until then.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

In the number of years and the number of different machines I have had or worked on, I have NEVER needed to update the installer.

This is one of those things that if is ain't broke do NOT fix it.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

ChrisJakarta wrote:I'm running Windows XP SP3. The version of msi.dll I have is 3.1.4001.5512. The link you provided seems to suggest that version 4.5.6001.22159 is now the appropriate version for this installation. Do I assume that it is not important, even dangerous, to upgrade?
Well, I'm going to take a somewhat opposite view of Hans and Dave. I've seen installs fail because the version of Windows Installer was not correct. It took a fair bit of investigation to figure out what the real problem was. There was no nice message saying the a newer version of Windows Installer was required. I will say that I tend to stay on top of more Microsoft software than most. I'd recommend that you read the system requirements closely of any Microsoft update and save yourself some headaches.

Joe
Joe

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Why do you need to know? :scratch:

It's the file msi.dll in C:\Windows\System32. You'll see the version if you hover the mouse pointer over this file in Windows Explorer, and also if you right-click it, select Properties from the popup menu, and activate the Details tab.

Please don't mess with this file.
Doesn't everyone like to know the versions of things they have installed? If they don't I do and that goes for every program I use.

Thank you for the information, I'll take a look and see if I'm current.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Checked the version of msi.dll in system32 properties and the file version and product version was: 5.0.7600.16385 3.06 MB.

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's the version for Windows 7; I have the same version on my PC. As far as I know, there is no more recent version.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Although I tend to agree with Dave's "if it ain't broke" paradigm, I also agree with Joe that somewhere along the line, one might encounter a problem with an install and the "error" messages might not clearly state that it's the installer that is the problem.

I for one have that 4.5.6001.22159 version that Chris mentioned and for the life of me I don't remember how or why I got it. It may have been an update from XP or some program I was installing. My take is, if it comes from MS, I install it, with the possible exception of drivers as has already been discussed.

Chris, if your system is functioning OK I'd leave well enough alone until there's a need.