desktop clutter

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

desktop clutter

Post by Skitterbug »

Does having a lot of files and folders on the "desktop" slow the startup of a PC?

Thanks
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

HansV
Administrator

Re: desktop clutter

Post by HansV »

That might have been a problem 20 years ago, in Windows 95, but I don't think it matters nowadays.
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Thanks for the quick reply. I have my daughter's laptop and I've been trying hard to remember the different clean up tips that one can do for XP. If the laptop belonged to me, I know what I would do for it without hesitation but it isn't mine so it limits what I might do. I did defrag the thing however and that ought to help..... :smile:

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I usually get great performance improvements in these kind of circumstances by deleting 90% of the applications that have been installed. A brief conversation about the need to get rid of the fluff, and just retain the essentials is all it usually takes to get agreement.
StuartR

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

In Windows XP, I'd reboot into safe mode without network support, get into the temporary files folder (CD %temp%) in a command window, delete everything, then repeat it in windows explorer.
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

CCleaner is an excellent tool to remove temporary files.
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

usually get great performance improvements in these kind of circumstances by deleting 90% of the applications that have been installed. A brief conversation about the need to get rid of the fluff, and just retain the essentials is all it usually takes to get agreement.
Stuart - I did find some apps that I figured were useless to her and deleted them. I haven’t heard any howls of dismay coming from her home – yet!
In Windows XP, I'd reboot into safe mode without network support, get into the temporary files folder (CD %temp%) in a command window, delete everything, then repeat it in windows explorer.
Claude – I looked into the temp folder but there were cab files in there? Along with other files I didn’t have a clue about? I’d toyed with the idea of removing them by copying them to a CD so I could get them back if need be? Would it make sense to do this? I realize that a backup would take care of it but she said if her laptop gives up, she’d get a new one. It’s been running since 2002 or so. So I copied documents/pics/music/and the important clutter on her “desktop” over to an EXHD. She uses online email so no worry about that. We ran out of time but maybe a complete backup would still be the ticket if she’ll let me have it overnight. I have a feeling it will take at least that long to do it because of how slow the computer is and that her HD is full!
CCleaner is an excellent tool to remove temporary files.
Hans – I’d forgotten about that one! For sure I’d need to have that complete backup before trying it though – just to be safe!

Thank you Stuart, Claude and Hans for refreshing my lagging memory!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

CCleaner is quite safe - it won't delete documents or programs...
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Everything in the temp folder should be temporary use only. You can safely delete files and folders from the temp folder regardless of extension.

Joe
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:Does having a lot of files and folders on the "desktop" slow the startup of a PC?
I would add that given that our eyes/brain are our fastest peripherals, cluttering up the desktop with icons means the user spends too much time (IMHO) looking for an appropriate icon, and that the cumulative waste over a session far outlasts the time taken by the machine to reboot.
Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

JoeP wrote:Everything in the temp folder should be temporary use only. You can safely delete files and folders from the temp folder regardless of extension.

Joe
Joe - Thank you for the clarification!
(rubbing hands together in anticipation) Can't wait to get another chance to work on her computer! :grin:

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Skitterbug wrote:Does having a lot of files and folders on the "desktop" slow the startup of a PC?
I would add that given that our eyes/brain are our fastest peripherals, cluttering up the desktop with icons means the user spends too much time (IMHO) looking for an appropriate icon, and that the cumulative waste over a session far outlasts the time taken by the machine to reboot.
Cheers
Chris
:wink: You always have intriguing ways to sort out problems! Thanks you for your insight about this one!