Microsoft XML Core Services 4.x

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I read this article at Infoworld ... is it 'safe' to delete any of this software?

Originally released in 2009, support ended in April 2014. At that time, the application was on 79 percent of machines, and 43 percent of installations were unpatched, according to Secunia, so it was risky even while it was still supported. By this time last year, the application was still present on 76 percent of machines.

Many users do not know that this application even exists. In other cases, removing it might cause other software to stop working.

Checking my W7, I seem to have two programmes listed under this name:
MSXML.JPG
Cheers Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Microsoft XML Core Services 4.x

Post by HansV »

The two items are updates to MSXML 4.0. I think it's safe to delete them, it's unlikely that you have software that needs it.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Tried the uninstall proceedure ... even though it said 'removed' they are still listed. I rebooted but no change so I think that I will leave 'well alone' and disregard 'Infoworld. Shortly after, when doing some 'Word' actions, Word crashed. Not sure if this was associated but seems OK now.

Do we retain all these MS programmes like XML when upgrading to W10 or are they trashed during the upgrade.

Our 1st snowfall is here!
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows 10 will completely replace your current Windows installation, so MSXML 4.0 won't survive. :smile:
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I'm nearly ready to 'take the plunge' :flee: Just going to wait until the big W10 is all sorted and then I will join you all
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The first major update to Windows 10 has been released last Thursday. The interface has been slightly improved, but it's still inconsistent. Settings are a mish-mash of Windows 7-style dialogs, Windows 8-style dialogs and Windows 10-style panes. But on the whole, it works well for me, I've experienced few problems.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Yes, I noticed that the Nov update had been released. Thanks Hans.

If I can ask an 'off topic' question ... when I update from W7 to W10, will my existing WiFi be automatically connected or do you have to go through the set up?
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I suspect it will be automatic, but I don't know for certain - although I do have WiFi at home, my PC is wired to the router.

You might ask this in the Windows 10 forum.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Ron,
When I upgraded from W7 to W10, my WIFI connection was automatically reinstated as part of the process.
Regards,
Keith