Classic Shell

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Classic Shell

Post by Peter Kinross »

I can't stand the latest and greatest desktops on the last few Wins. So I use 'Classic Shell' (CS). This gives me the desktop and Start Menu I love.
All has been going swimmingly until Win 10. Now (occasionally in Win7 too) CS refuses to hide the taskbar. No matter what I set CS to, the taskbar refuses to hide. CS don't have any help desk, but there is a users forum. I put this problem to that forum but haven't received any replies. So I am looking for a CS replacement. Does anyone have a recommendation?
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Classic Shell

Post by viking33 »

Peter Kinross wrote:I can't stand the latest and greatest desktops on the last few Wins. So I use 'Classic Shell' (CS). This gives me the desktop and Start Menu I love.
All has been going swimmingly until Win 10. Now (occasionally in Win7 too) CS refuses to hide the taskbar. No matter what I set CS to, the taskbar refuses to hide. CS don't have any help desk, but there is a users forum. I put this problem to that forum but haven't received any replies. So I am looking for a CS replacement. Does anyone have a recommendation?
The only instances that I have seen, where the taskbar refuses to hide, is when there is some notice or note from Microsoft advising that there is a new update or something similar. Then, until you do the wishes of the almighty MS, the icon will remain in control of the taskbar.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Well I'll be!
Not from MS but Dropbox - a message saying I had to re-install DB to get synching going. Did that and the taskbar has hidden.
Now we wait to see if it stays hidden.
Wow, thanks Bob, good observation. This has been bugging me for ages. Which makes me a bit of a dill for not bringing it to the Lounge earlier :)

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Bummer! I was a tad premature.
No notifications in notification area, but taskbar has gone back to refusing to hide.

Ha ha! 5 minutes later, I removed the language bar from the notification area and I can now have the taskbar hide itself.
I wonder how long this fix will last. :cheers:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I think the Notification Area Taskbar is a bit "flaky" anyway. I have a small calendar pop up icon that is supposed to show up in the taskbar automatically on boot up. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, even though it is set properly in the Customizer.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Nearly 12 hours on and still hiding.
Thanks Hans, some of that is what I used to hide the language bar.