Telemetry updates for Windows 7 and 8

StuartR
Administrator

Telemetry updates for Windows 7 and 8

Post by StuartR »

New Windows updates add functionality to older versions of Windows that will share more information with Microsoft. You may want to read this before you install KB3075249, KB3080149 or KB3068708.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/09/07/ ... -rolls-out
StuartR

Leif
Administrator

Re: Telemetry updates for Windows 7 and 8

Post by Leif »

Thanks Stuart!

Warning to others: there is some strong language contained in the linked thread...
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Thanks Leif, I hadn't read the replies...
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hmmmm!

As you might recall, I just reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Premium Edition. When I read the post Stuart made, I went to Windows Update to see if I had already installed the ones warned of in the link. None of them were there in update history. Sooooo . . . I checked for updates and was told that I am up to date. I did not read every entry in the update history record, but they seemed generally to follow an ascending numerical sequence. Might I have missed them? Is there a way to search the update log? I tried using the search panel on the log display but I don't think it was looking at the update log.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If the updates aren't listed in your Update History, they haven't been installed. Update History is sorted by date of installation, from most recent to older. I don't think there is a specific sort order for updates installed on the same date.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Hans!

I remain a bit baffled by this. The updates are listed by install date but I have not idea if I installed them when I updated after reinstalling from the ISO. I don't trust my old eyes to scan with a great deal of accuracy. Is there any way to search for those specific KB numbers?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

OK, I found all three and removed them.

I was unable to locate the three updates by scanning the date sequenced update log, but when I clicked on the Installed Updates link I found that the updates were categorized and listed in descending numerical sequence. This made the telemetry updates easier to find and simple to remove.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Last edited by BobH on 08 Sep 2015, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Are the Win 7 versions of these updates classed as 'Important' or are they just 'Recommended'?

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I think they were labelled "Important." I just checked and WU wants me to reinstall the KB3068708 update. It's listed as Important, and I think they all were so identified.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

The link cites 3 Knowledge Base references but then states "These four updates ignore existing user preferences..." (emphasis mine). Did I miss something?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

IMO, much ado about nothing. According to a Microsoft MVP, for Win7 & Win8/8.1 the telemetry data is only sent if the user has opted into the Customer Experience Improvement Program.

You know the CEIP is the program Microsoft has been running for a decade or so collecting data about usage and problems. The same program you get asked about joining just about any time you run a Microsoft product for the first time. There is NO indication from anything I've read and heard anywhere that personal data is collected and used. The data is used to make design decisions and fix problems. I've always thought that was a good way to have some influence on future decisions and to raise awareness within Microsoft about problems.

Joe
Joe

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

PaulB wrote:The link cites 3 Knowledge Base references but then states "These four updates ignore existing user preferences..." (emphasis mine). Did I miss something?
Maybe they are referring to this in quotes?
(including any edits made to the Hosts file)

If not, perhaps the author has problems going past the number two? :grin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Good one, Bob!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

NotQuite
3StarLounger

Post by NotQuite »

BobH wrote:I think they were labelled "Important." I just checked and WU wants me to reinstall the KB3068708 update. It's listed as Important, and I think they all were so identified.
When I checked WU this morning on my W7 machine, those three KB's were listed as "Optional". To my knowledge I have not opted in to any MS information sharing or its Customer Experience Improvement Program.
Regards: NotQuite

Not So Damp in Lotus Land

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

JoeP wrote:IMO, much ado about nothing. According to a Microsoft MVP, for Win7 & Win8/8.1 the telemetry data is only sent if the user has opted into the Customer Experience Improvement Program.
Totally agree with your comment ... much ado...
The CEIP switch can be turned off.
Open up Control Panel, select Action Center, then select Change Action Center settings. At the bottom of that screen, under the heading Related settings, click on Customer Experience Improvement program.
Make your choice...
2015-09-09_11-14-37.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

NB the link Joe gives follows on from initial caution on Woody's part. Previously (3rd Sept) Woody had said, "...Windows 7 – Here’s where things get interesting. If you’re concerned about Microsoft snooping (and you should be), it would be a good idea to avoid KB 3068708, 3022345, 3075249, and 3080149 for now. I say that realizing that my tinfoil hat is showing. I have an inquiry into Microsoft at this moment which should shed some light — if I get a straight answer. ..."

Ken

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

stuck wrote:...Here’s where things get interesting. If you’re concerned about Microsoft snooping (and you should be), it would be a good idea to avoid KB 3068708, 3022345, 3075249, and 3080149 for now. I say that realizing that my tinfoil hat is showing. I have an inquiry into Microsoft at this moment which should shed some light — if I get a straight answer. ..."

Ken
After reading the article in JoeP's link, I immediately put on my tinfoil hat, shutdown all CEIP links, uninstalled referenced KBs, swore never to install "optional" updates and sat back in relief that I am protected... until the next round of attacks! :hairout: :flee:

Will be interested to hear what Microsoft says...

P.S. The 4 referenced KBs were originally listed as "Optional". After the uninstall, I perform a Windows Update to retrieve the same KBs so I could hide them. This time, they were listed as "Important". Well at least 3 of them since 3068708 replaced 3022345.
Regards,
Bob