Fragmented drive; strange/interesting, ...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Fragmented drive; strange/interesting, ...

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I found this strange/interesting: Because of my recent problems, my TrueCrypt Encrypted drive ended up quite unfragmented (RoboCopy out and RoboCopy back in).
Defraggler01.png
On my trip on Tuesday I took about 150 photos and uploaded them to my data drive (T:) for processing. Wednesday night I loaded Defraggler out of curiosity, and Behold And Lo! There are little blue droppings all over the pane, and each dropping appears to be a single file – an image file, a photo, from my camera.
It looks as if my FileCopy issued from within Word2003 (I know, I know, ...) caused a rhythm best described as “drop a file, skip two blocks, drop a file, skip two blocks, etc”.
I’ve done little else today (Wednesday) except type in my notes and record my weight this morning in an Excel Workbook.
The pattern I observe I would have expected to see if I had deleted about as many photo (images) as I had created.
Now that I type that, I wonder if the images were originally in a contiguous block, but that VSO Image Resizer, in resizing them in place, created the gaps between blocks. 132 files at 281 MB resizes to 132 files at 28 MB, that is, a reduction to about 10% the original size.
Defraggler02.png
The analysis pane shows most of these droppings are in 2 or 3 fragments. I suspected the 18 & 24 fragments come from files edited with MSPaint, but this is not so; they are unedited images (albeit resized)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Fragmented drive; strange/interesting, ...

Post by John Gray »

This has nothing to do with Robocopy, but is a 'feature' of the NTFS file system.
Can you explain why a defragmented and subsequently untouched file should at a later stage appear to have its clusters rewritten so that it ends up fragmented again? (I can't!)

BTW with regard to your tagline, just sticking an 'e' at the end of a word doesn't magically convert it to medieval English, nor does adding an extra 't' into waste - which has always been "waste". I advise the reading of the Wikipedia entry for "ye olde"... Also the reading of some Beowulf, Chaucer and the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle (out every Friday, price 1 groat).
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I guess John G told you off there, Chris!
Consider yourself chastised!

The next time you want to mess around with the English language, old or new, make sure you check in with John, first. :bagged: :bow: :grin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:This has nothing to do with Robocopy, but is a 'feature' of the NTFS file system.
Can you explain why a defragmented and subsequently untouched file should at a later stage appear to have its clusters rewritten so that it ends up fragmented again? (I can't!)
Me neither. That's why I posted yesterday's screen.
As you may recall, I'm not a big fan of defragmenting Hard drives, but from time to time I do get curious.
FWIW last night I defragmented that data drive and will wait until I have another 100+ photos to resize (in about two weeks time) and repeat the process under controlled conditions. (1)
BTW with regard to your tagline, just sticking an 'e' at the end of a word doesn't magically convert it to medieval English, nor does adding an extra 't' into waste - which has always been "waste". I advise the reading of the Wikipedia entry for "ye olde"... Also the reading of some Beowulf, Chaucer and the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle (out every Friday, price 1 groat).
Well Chaucer got away with it; and his name was Geoffrey whereas mine is Chris. I've been reading an 186? book "A shorter history of the English people" (not the John Richard Green one, but someone else) and he quotes reams of text from anciente documentes, as I would say if I were prepping a tagline as a joke. :rofl:

(1)i.e. not Win10

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:I guess John G told you off there, Chris! Consider yourself chastised!
You got it!
Actually so did I.
But what can you do? What Can You Do when someone who demands, nay, deserves so much respect raps one over the knuckles.
(signed) "Chas" of Toronto.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

ChrisGreaves wrote:But what can you do?
Keep it up. Ye may as well be hanged for a olde sheepe as a lamb..
Leif

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

John Gray wrote:BTW with regard to your tagline, just sticking an 'e' at the end of a word doesn't magically convert it to medieval English, nor does adding an extra 't' into waste - which has always been "waste". I advise the reading of the Wikipedia entry for "ye olde"... Also the reading of some Beowulf, Chaucer and the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle (out every Friday, price 1 groat).
Chris,

Looks like you've been outed by John, who's been channeling Ciardi.

Better watch out or you'll end up in circle eight!

:aflame:

I'm more of a "three" myself ... :cheers:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL