Typing a caron

jmt356
SilverLounger

Typing a caron

Post by jmt356 »

How do I type a caron? It is a symbol that looks like an upside-down carrot ( ˇ ) that is used in transcribing Chinese characters into pinyin. I cannot find the symbol on the international keyboard. I cannot find it in my US or International keyboard.

According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caron" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), "For legacy reasons, most letters that can carry carons are precomposed characters in Unicode, but a caron can also be added to any letter by using the combining character U+030C ◌̌ combining caron (HTML ̌), for example: b̌ q̌ J̌," but it is not clear to me what that means.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Typing a caron

Post by HansV »

Start the Character Map accessory.
Scroll down until you're past the letters with accents.
You'll find the combining caron there:
S0527.png
Click Select (just once!), then Copy. You can now paste it into any application. After pasting it, type any other character. Here is an example from Notepad:
S0528.png
How well it works, depends on the font and on the application.

In Word, you can type 30c then press Alt+X to insert a caron. Take care that there is no digit or character a...f before (or after) 30c.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

In Word, how would I enter the combining caron above an "a" or an "e" if I am not able to type an "a" or an "e" before the 30c / Alt+X?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Type an a or e.
On the Insert tab of the ribbon, click Symbol > More Symbols...
Make sure that Unicode (Hex) is selected in the 'from:' dropdown.
Type 30c in the 'Character code:' box.
Click Insert.
S087.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can also, in the same dialog, assign the combining caron to a custom keyboard shortcut: click the 'Shortcut Key...' button.
Best wishes,
Hans