System Repair parameter is incorrect - ONLY to drive D !!!!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

System Repair parameter is incorrect - ONLY to drive D !!!!

Post by ChrisGreaves »

When I bought the laptop 18 months ago I shrugged when I couldn’t create a system repair disk.
System Repair Parameter Is Incorrect.png
Monday I looked it up on the web
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-system-recovery-disk/c2fcbf43-e859-4ca8-88ea-c6cc5e0fc1d7
http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/32646-system-repair-disc-could-not-created.html
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/system-repair-disc-could-not-be-createdthe/adc2c5ab-0334-4dcd-a82c-39d6e4a52946

As far as I can make out, my laptop came with drive letter “D” assigned to a partition on the hard drive; I could be wrong. Through Computer (right click), Manage, Disk Management I have swapped drive letters with gay abandon, hiding recovery partitions and TrueCrypted partitions, setting up a Ram Disk etc.

Monday I booted, ignored my TrueCrypt request for password (and assignment of a slew of drive letters) and Computer Managed the CD drive from E to D. Rebooted.
Waddyaknow I was able to create a System repair disk; not on a CD-R, nor on a DVD-R, but on a DVD-RW. Still, that’s reason to celebrate.

I was self-pressured into getting System repair to work on account of Msoft’s stupidity with System restore, and one’s inability to control the points.

Now, maybe at long last I can get Macrium Reflect to work enough to create a disk image and burn it. Who knows?
But in the end I am left scratching my head that Microsoft Windows can’t perform an essential task - creation of a system repair disk - unless the CD drive is assigned the letter D.
I should add that for 18 months I’ve been happily playing movies and burning music CDs on the drive - the drive works. It’s just that very basic Msoft software can’t cope if the drive isn’t drive letter D.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: System Repair parameter is incorrect - ONLY to drive D !

Post by John Gray »

Well, curiously enough this morning I created a System Repair Disc on a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro box, and ditto on a 32-bit box, using drive letter V: (for DVD).

I try to keep the CD/DVD drive letter well away from the hard disk and USB drive letters.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:Well, curiously enough this morning I created a System Repair Disc on a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro box, and ditto on a 32-bit box, using drive letter V: (for DVD).
Untitled.png
I think there should be a law against using so many single letters in a row; gives old codgers like me quite a turn when i click on "Quote" (w/o the quotes) and see 'em all lined up, like bullets ... :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:Well, curiously enough this morning I created a System Repair Disc on a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro box, and ditto on a 32-bit box, using drive letter V: (for DVD).I try to keep the CD/DVD drive letter well away from the hard disk and USB drive letters.
Well, OK then; maybe I'm still doing something wrong. (Every time I try to do something new I end up with twice as many experiments to see what is going on.
Once I work out how to get a Macrium boot disk to re-load the image disks i might toy around with drive letters again.

I'm less interested in banishing drive letters to the far end of the alphabet than in reducing conflicts with my SUBSTituted drive letters for current project folders!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
John Gray wrote:Well, curiously enough this morning I created a System Repair Disc on a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro box, and ditto on a 32-bit box, using drive letter V: (for DVD).I try to keep the CD/DVD drive letter well away from the hard disk and USB drive letters.
Well, OK then; maybe I'm still doing something wrong. (Every time I try to do something new I end up with twice as many experiments to see what is going on.
Once I work out how to get a Macrium boot disk to re-load the image disks i might toy around with drive letters again.

I'm less interested in banishing drive letters to the far end of the alphabet than in reducing conflicts with my SUBSTituted drive letters for current project folders!
I don't know why but it seems like all of the Imagers change around the drive letters on a restore? That's why I also NAME each drive in addition to giving it a drive letter. so I don't care what letter they assign on the restore, it all works out in the wash and the correct drive is restored.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

When using a "Image" restore program, most do NOT use the local OS, but a temp OS booted into from the CD/DVD. There for ALL of your defined drive in Windows do NOT exist. Then Names may not even be there.

Now the images for the separate drives hopefully have been named so you know which is which when restoring some of the drives.

It has always been this way for all of the imaging programs I have used.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

DaveA wrote:When using a "Image" restore program, most do NOT use the local OS, but a temp OS booted into from the CD/DVD. There for ALL of your defined drive in Windows do NOT exist. Then Names may not even be there.

Now the images for the separate drives hopefully have been named so you know which is which when restoring some of the drives.

It has always been this way for all of the imaging programs I have used.
I agree generally with your post. I do find that True Image will scramble the drive letters but will always retain the the drive names that I gave them. :thumbup:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.