My saved files are locked

jmt356
SilverLounger

My saved files are locked

Post by jmt356 »

I noticed that when I download files from the internet, their icons appear with a small lock symbol on the bottom left by default. For example, I just saved a web page as a singe file to my computer, and the lock symbol appeared. I believe this means that the file is not to be shared with any third party.

Can I change this default setting so that all files can be shared with everybody?
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Re: My saved files are locked

Post by StuartR »

I guess this might depend on where you download the files to, and what permissions have been applied to the parent folder.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

And, with which browser. Firefox's "saving" choices are different than IE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bigaldoc on 20 Dec 2012, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Have you looked at the attributes of the file (in My Computer or Windows Explorer)?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

On Windows XP, using Explorer if I RIGHT click on files that come from our db (which is accessed via a client that runs in Firefox) and select Properties | General tab then at the bottom of the dialog box it says:
Security: This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer
Next to that text is a button labelled 'Unblock'. I've never used the button as I've never had a problem with using such files.

Presumably there is an equivalent of this in more recent than XP versions of Windows (Vista, 7 & 8)..?

Ken

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I am using Windows Vista / IE 8.

The Sharing tab of the Properties dialogue of several of the folders I checked in My Documents is set to Shared. What else may be cuasing this?

Stuck, I don't find the equivalent in Windows Vista.
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I think this may be caused by saving the files to My Documents. Try saving to a folder on a different partition and see what happens.
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Actually, I just tried downloading a pdf from the internet to My Documents, and it did not save as locked. But then I set it to Share with Nobody and it still did not show the lock image. Perhaps then there are properties in some files that cannot be locked and others that can.

The next time I notice a file downloads as locked I will try to save it outside of My Documents to see what happens.
Regards,

JMT