Multiple Displays

BobH
UraniumLounger

Multiple Displays

Post by BobH »

As a part of my recent build, I connected a TV monitor to my graphics card in addition to my regular system monitor. The TV is display number 2. I was amazed and pleased to see how easy it is to have 2 different apps running and how easily things can be moved back and forth.

Today, however, I discovered that it's like hiding Easter Eggs when you have CRS. When I last had display 2 active, I had placed a Word application in that display. Now I find that the Word icon pinned to the task bar will open only in display 2. I know that I can turn the TV own and change its source and get the app moved back to display 1, but I was wondering if there is another way to make that happen. I checked Properties associated with the quick launch icon and found nothing relevant to display 1 or 2. Somehow, Win 7 knows that it was last open in display 2; it seems to me that there should be some way to tell Win 7 to change that attribute without having to physically start the monitor and drag the app back to display 1.

Am I way off base here . . . again?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: Multiple Displays

Post by PaulB »

Just ran a little experiment: Start your Word application then press Windows key + Shift key + Arrow Right (or Arrow Left as the case may be). Your Word window must have the focus.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows key + Shift + Left/Right arrow doesn't do anything for me. It does move the window if I omit Shift (i.e. WinKey + Left/Right arrow).
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Hmmm... I just opened Windows Media player maximized on monitor 2. WinKey+Shift+Left/Right Arrow will move the WMP window to monitor 1, maximized. Repeating the operation moves the window back to monitor 2, maximized.

With WMP maximized on left monitor, when I press WinKey+Right Arrow repeatedly, I get:

1 - Snap right, left monitor,
2 - Snap left, right monitor,
3 - Un-maximized WMP, right monitor,
4 - Snap right, right monitor,
5 - Snap left, left monitor,
6 - Un-maximized WMP, left monitor,
7 - and repeat all over again.

The right monitor is monitor 1 (1920x1080), the left is monitor 2 (1280x1024).

Edited to add:

I opened the Kobo ebook reader desktop application. WinKey+Shift+Left/Right Arrow has no effect on this window! The window will however snap left or right with WinKey+Left/Right Arrow. This application does not seem to follow any of the Aero Snap conventions.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ah, OK, I see what you mean. You're correct.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Gentlemen !

I knew that there must be a way, but I had no idea how to even ask the question of a search engine.

Thank you, again!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

it's a much better solution than the one I have been using. Mine was

Alt-space - down-arrow - enter
then use the arrow keys to move the invisible window till you can get it with the mouse
StuartR