DVD format and reading

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

DVD format and reading

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
If I perform a default DVD format on a Windows XP laptop I can't read the disc on my Windows 7 computer.
If I perform a default DVD format on my Windows 7 laptop I can't read the disc on the XP Computer, and the disc seems to be now corrupted. What's up with that :groan: :sad: ?

There's nothing special about my discs - DVD-R 4.7GB, 16x. They are discs with a hole in the middle :grin:
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: DVD format and reading

Post by DaveA »

I have never had to format a DVD, why are you formatting them?

Is there something telling to to do this, if so what is telling you to do this?

What DVD burning program are you using?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

DaveA wrote:I have never had to format a DVD, why are you formatting them?

Is there something telling to to do this, if so what is telling you to do this?

What DVD burning program are you using?
I'm not using a burning program and Windows just offers to format it. I'm then just dragging files onto the DVD via Windows Explorer.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Which format (Live File System or Mastered) did you use to write the DVD? If LFS, did you close or finalize the disk session?

In W7, go to Start>Help and Support and look up "write to dvd". Lots of good information there! Not sure if all this applies to Win XP, though.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

PaulB wrote:Which format (Live File System or Mastered) did you use to write the DVD? If LFS, did you close or finalize the disk session?

In W7, go to Start>Help and Support and look up "write to dvd". Lots of good information there! Not sure if all this applies to Win XP, though.
Hello. I'll look into this a little later, thank you. Andy.