Re: What is viewdll.dll?

Post by StuartR »

...and 9:10 am is nearly time to go back to bed
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

One can learn quite a lot by just watching and reading; there’s no need to execute, run, alter, or delete, every file one finds, just to see what happens next.

That is, it’s going to be difficult to understand how things work if looking too much at details, it’s like picking up a pebble from the ground, study it, and trying to understand how the city works.

If we are talking about spending time on learning the software and not solving a problem, wouldn't it be great if the time spent was on something that might be useful in the future.

Looking at the broader picture, and gaining a little knowledge how the OS or the software works is often more useful than knowing the exact number of files used by for example DirectX. And that knowledge often comes by using the software, not dissecting it.

That said, if one is trying to learn, for example, how to set up time synchronization, it might perhaps be useful to study how the net command works (if working with services with the CLI, command prompt). But asking why it's there is probably the wrong question.

A good start for the curious could be to read every help file that shipped with the OS, or the software; that should be enough to keep even the most inquisitive minds occupied for some time. :laugh:

Or, one can, for example, spend the time learning how the recovery environment works in the OS, so that learning curve doesn’t start when one really needs it.

Quite often we find a small but significant discrepancy between what we think the software is going to do and what it is designed to do... Then it doesn't matter what I think it will do, if that wasn't the purpose, the developer has the last word... and if that is mentioned in the help files... well, then I haven't done my homework.

That's all fine and dandy, a good theory; but of course, it doesn't work like that all the time. We all tend to get bored when we have to read something we already know, and help files often covers some of that; so they are often used as a last resort.

That said, we all know there's almost no end to what can be done with some software, for example the Office suite, so there will always be questions, no matter help files or articles on the web.

I agree with Bob, Stuart, and Hans.

(This was written in the middle of the night, put posted in the evening to not arouse curiosity. :evilgrin: :laugh:)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Stuart lives in England. It was 9:10 AM local time when he posted his reply... :evilgrin:
Is my face red? All I had to do is to check the information listed on his post. Sorry about that, another stupid question. :aflame:
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Gloria E wrote:I have a Windows 7 Home Premium System Repair Disk made three days ago, will that do?
Gloria, Bob mentioned two of the imaging programs that are popular with many Loungers, but there is also a FREE one that isn't difficult to use.

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition is what I'm using to make backup images of my laptop once a month and I've used it on the computers of others whom I've assisted, successfully restoring a WHOLE hard drive after a crash or other serious problem.

I do my imaging backup to an external USB drive and those are very inexpensive these days - AND have saved my bacon on many occasions.