What is viewdll.dll?

Gloria E
5StarLounger

What is viewdll.dll?

Post by Gloria E »

I found the dll file in IE 9's Temporary Internet files > View Objects. I ran a Google search and found nothing that explains what is is or what it does. No one seems to know anything about it.

Searching my computer I found one in Windows\Downloaded Program files. Viewing it's properties revealed nothing except a date: April 21, 2004. Can anyone explain what that dll does and if it's safe to remove?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: What is viewdll.dll?

Post by HansV »

Since the file is in your Temporary Internet Files folder, it is apparently used by a web page that you visited. I wouldn't worry about it - it'll be deleted the next time you clear your browser cache. If it was malicious, your anti-virus/anti-malware program would have warned you.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:I found the dll file in IE 9's Temporary Internet files > View Objects. I ran a Google search and found nothing that explains what is is or what it does. No one seems to know anything about it.

Searching my computer I found one in Windows\Downloaded Program files. Viewing it's properties revealed nothing except a date: April 21, 2004. Can anyone explain what that dll does and if it's safe to remove?
Things in the Temporary folders are just that...temporary. If emptying your browser cache doesn't clear it out, you can delete it.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:
Gloria E wrote:I found the dll file in IE 9's Temporary Internet files > View Objects. I ran a Google search and found nothing that explains what is is or what it does. No one seems to know anything about it.

Things in the Temporary folders are just that...temporary. If emptying your browser cache doesn't clear it out, you can delete it.
I'm guilty of supplying incorrect information. :sad: Let's start fresh.

In IE 9 > Internet Options > Browsing History > Settings > View Objects - I found vviewdll.dll.

I apoligize for misleading you and Hans, please forgive me.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The answer remains the same.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:The answer remains the same.
That dll file is NOT cleared when I empty the cache, only temporary files do that. I emptied the cache yesterday and it's still there.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I still wouldn't worry about it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:I still wouldn't worry about it.
I wasn't really worried about it, just courious.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Curiosity killed the cat, and it may well kill your PC if your not careful about what you remove.
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:
viking33 wrote:

I'm guilty of supplying incorrect information. :sad: Let's start fresh.

In IE 9 > Internet Options > Browsing History > Settings > View Objects - I found vviewdll.dll.

I apoligize for misleading you and Hans, please forgive me.
Which is it? vviewdll.dll OR viewdll.dll??
I searched for both and did not find either one in my system.
BOB

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

StuartR wrote:Curiosity killed the cat, and it may well kill your PC if your not careful about what you remove.
I thought I was being careful when I made this post instead of removing the dll file and asking afterwards.
Was I mistaken?

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Gloria E wrote:...I thought I was being careful when I made this post instead of removing the dll file and asking afterwards.
Was I mistaken?
You were being fairly careful, but you would find that your computer is much more reliable if you stop looking at everything in such detail, and just enjoy using the programs without worrying too much about the files stored on your hard drive.
StuartR

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

StuartR wrote:
Gloria E wrote:...I thought I was being careful when I made this post instead of removing the dll file and asking afterwards.
Was I mistaken?
You were being fairly careful, but you would find that your computer is much more reliable if you stop looking at everything in such detail, and just enjoy using the programs without worrying too much about the files stored on your hard drive.
Isn't that the way users learn about computers and what's on them? If I see something I don't understand I search with Google and/or ask on a forum. I don't believe in blindly answering yes or no and have no idea which one to choose. Or have something running on the computer and not know why it's running or what is it's purpose.

Idon't cosider that courious, I consider it learning about computers and programs. That's my opinion and you have yours. No harm done, I'm sure, but continuing asking questions is what I choose to do.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

@Gloria - I'm the same :smile:. There are hundreds of thousands of files on my computer and I am sure that it would work much better without, say, 60% of them, or possibly an even higher percentage.

The problem is, it is very difficult to be certain that particular files will never be used or needed, even though they seem completely unrelated to anything I run on my computer. I have been known to cause havoc on (my own) computer in the past :flee: :grin:
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

agibsonsw wrote:@Gloria - I'm the same :smile:. There are hundreds of thousands of files on my computer and I am sure that it would work much better without, say, 60% of them, or possibly an even higher percentage.

The problem is, it is very difficult to be certain that particular files will never be used or needed, even though they seem completely unrelated to anything I run on my computer. I have been known to cause havoc on (my own) computer in the past :flee: :grin:
Words of wisdom, I'm sure. Now if I could just stop being so dang curious. :bash:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:
agibsonsw wrote:@Gloria - I'm the same :smile:. There are hundreds of thousands of files on my computer and I am sure that it would work much better without, say, 60% of them, or possibly an even higher percentage.

Words of wisdom, I'm sure. Now if I could just stop being so dang curious. :bash:
Curious is fine but the answer is to have and USE an imaging program. ( like True Image or System Protect ) Make an image of the drive and then go ahead and experiment and be curious. If you blow away your system, then restore the image and remember not to make those changes that did it in.
BOB

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

viking33 wrote:...Curious is fine but the answer is to have and USE an imaging program. ( like True Image or System Protect ) Make an image of the drive and then go ahead and experiment and be curious. If you blow away your system, then restore the image and remember not to make those changes that did it in.
I like this advice. The best way to learn about Windows is to play on a computer that has an image backup. I would add one thing to this. Make sure all your data is on a separate partition to your operating system and applications. That way you won't lose any data when you restore an image that is a few days or weeks old.
StuartR

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

StuartR wrote:
viking33 wrote:...Curious is fine but the answer is to have and USE an imaging program. ( like True Image or System Protect ) Make an image of the drive and then go ahead and experiment and be curious. If you blow away your system, then restore the image and remember not to make those changes that did it in.
I like this advice. The best way to learn about Windows is to play on a computer that has an image backup. I would add one thing to this. Make sure all your data is on a separate partition to your operating system and applications. That way you won't lose any data when you restore an image that is a few days or weeks old.
I have a Windows 7 Home Premium System Repair Disk made three days ago, will that do?

By the way Stuart, what in the world were you doing up so late when you make the post? Just being courious again. :grin:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:
StuartR wrote:
I have a Windows 7 Home Premium System Repair Disk made three days ago, will that do?

By the way Stuart, what in the world were you doing up so late when you make the post? Just being courious again. :grin:
System Repair Disk is NOT, repeat NOT, the same as a disk IMAGING program.
An Imaging program copies and can restore an EXACT duplicate of your entire disk or partition, bit by bit, sector by sector, etc. This of course includes your System programs and settings.
The System Repair will only do a repair of your system itself not any other things.
Imaging is sort of the ultimate repair of even the most perplexing problems. As long as you make the image when everything is running fine and dandy, that's what you get in return when you restore the image. Keep the images up to date and you are good to go. ( which reminds me, it's time for a new C: drive image for me! ) :fanfare:

Edited to add: P.S.....Done!
Last edited by viking33 on 06 May 2012, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
BOB

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Stuart lives in England. It was 9:10 AM local time when he posted his reply... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans