Invisible Links

Leif
Administrator

Re: Invisible Links

Post by Leif »

Perhaps it also has something to do with internal links and external links...
x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Leif on 26 Feb 2010, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To add post-posting picture
Leif

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

Bigaldoc wrote:This is REALLY strange. When I got up this morning and started reading this thread again, I didn't see the underline yet in subsilver. So, I closed my browser, emptied its cache and restarted.

I'm running Fx 3.5.8 in XP and still don't see the underline... (nor do I see it in IE8)
This is Fx 3.6 in XP, using subsilver2.
Lounge links Fx.jpg
Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Boy did I open a can of worms. I didn't even think of the skins aspect. Thought it might be a browser thing. If fixing it is a lot of trouble, let it be.

I just started using FF 3.6 at the beginning of the year and this is the first time I've used anything but the default skin in the Lounge. I'm using Aero Black and this is how my signature appears.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Leif wrote:Perhaps it also has something to do with internal links and external links...
x.jpg
Err, nope :grin: ! Win 2K (fully patched), FF 3.5.8, subsliver2 shows both int & ext links underlined.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

OK, last guess....

Perhaps it has to do with visited and non-visited links!
x.jpg
(Now I have visited both! :grin: )
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Doc Watson wrote:I'm using Aero Black and this is how my signature appears.
Doc,

Mike hasn't gotten round to modifying Aero Black yet, he only did subsilver2 and Minimal.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Leif wrote:OK, last guess....

Perhaps it has to do with visited and non-visited links!
There's definitely something very strange going on here! At some point last night, I saw links underlined in Firefox 3.6 (on Windows 7), then I lost them, and now they're back. It doesn't matter if I follow the internal or external link you posted - it remains underlined...
Best wishes,
Hans

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Subsilver2, Windows 7, Firefox 3.7a2pre latest development build, I see a mixture of underlined and not underlined, can not see any pattern in the underlined links. The links mentioned a few times in this post are not underlined, before and after visiting them, and before and after clearing the cache.
Untitled-1.gif
It's a mystery, but not one that I am concerned about. I don't mind if the links are underlined or not.
Tony

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Leif wrote:Perhaps it has to do with visited and non-visited links!
AH! You might have something there! I'm losing underlines on links I've followed.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

stuck wrote:
Leif wrote:Perhaps it has to do with visited and non-visited links!
AH! You might have something there! I'm losing underlines on links I've followed.

Ken
Yes, that is it, I cleared my browsing history and then links were underlined. I visited one of the links and then refreshed my browser and it was no longer underlined.
StuartR

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

TonyE wrote:The links mentioned a few times in this post are not underlined, before and after visiting them, and before and after clearing the cache.
Maybe your privacy/history settings? As with Stuart, clearing my history brings back all dem lines.
Leif

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Yes, definitely to do with your history. I've just done two things:
1) Closed my Lounge tab, deleted all of today's Lounge history and then returned here. That restored the underline to internal links but not external links.
2) Closed my Lounge tab and deleted all of today's Google history and then returned here. That ONLY restored the under line on one external link (one that StuartR gave in Scutt. about the HTC Hero). It didn't restore the underline on Leif's link above to Google's homepage. I've not tested it but my guess is that this is because further back in in my history there is anothr entry for Google's home page.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

All in all, I think there's enough information now for Mike to go on.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

I had a feeling we had been down this road before: Eileen's Lounge • View topic - Skins, Again
Leif

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Post by Charlotte »

Leif wrote:I had a feeling we had been down this road before: Eileen's Lounge • View topic - Skins, Again
Yep. When I visited the link and then returned, the link had changed color and was no longer underlined.
Charlotte

mwolfman
The Man, The Myth, The Legend

Post by mwolfman »

ok, well, that helps. I'll look into it when I get back from the warehouse.
Mike Wolfman

--To err is human; to really screw up requires root

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Leif wrote:I had a feeling we had been down this road before: Eileen's Lounge • View topic - Skins, Again
I don't think that thread was on the topic of links, either internal or external. It was about the color of the thread name in a Lounge forum. Admittedly that is a "link" of sorts but I think it's an entirely different topic from links we POST in a thread.

Stuart correctly nailed the reason for that one in his post here. (manually underlined by me) I quit worrying about that one because I NEVER click the name of a thread when I'm reviewing a forum. I ALWAYS click only the icon for new posts, so most of the thread names, for me, never change color and it had nothing to do with underlining or not.

mwolfman

Post by mwolfman »

Ok, here's where I'm at:

It's a browser thing. I have no issues in firefox 3.5.8 on OS 10.6
BUT
I see the issue in Safari 4.0.4.

I added a few lines in the CSS. Let me know if this is better. If it works, I'm going to move the code to the other skins.
Mike Wolfman

mwolfman

Post by mwolfman »

Note: If you are testing for me and do not use subsilver2, please change your skin in the user control panel and not the portal. I need the variables I can control to be constant.
Mike Wolfman

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Currently the links posted by Leif at the top of page 2 of this thread are underlinked consistently in Subsilver2.
It works in Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 3.6, both on Windows 7, and it doesn't make a difference whether I have followed the links or not.
Best wishes,
Hans