Bad breadcrumbs link

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Bad breadcrumbs link

Post by Pilgrim »

I just noticed that if I am browsing, e.g., the Windows 7 forum in the "Operating Systems" category and then click on "Operating Systems" in the breadcrumbs navigation links, it takes me back to Windows 7 forum. If I am browsing the Windows Vista forum and click on the same "Operating Systems" link in the breadcrumbs navigation links, I am again taken to the Windows 7 forum. I don't know if this is specific to my experience only or if it is a bug that effects everyone?? But I thought it was worth mentioning.
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Bad breadcrumbs link

Post by HansV »

This doesn't happen to me, whether I'm logged in or not. Does the problem persist after closing the browser? And after rebooting your PC?
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Pilgrim wrote:I just noticed that if I am browsing, e.g., the Windows 7 forum in the "Operating Systems" category and then click on "Operating Systems" in the breadcrumbs navigation links, it takes me back to Windows 7 forum. If I am browsing the Windows Vista forum and click on the same "Operating Systems" link in the breadcrumbs navigation links, I am again taken to the Windows 7 forum. I don't know if this is specific to my experience only or if it is a bug that effects everyone?? But I thought it was worth mentioning.
Jeff, what I get when I click that "Operating Systems" link is the list of ACTIVE TOPICS and the top of the page and the OS forums list is at the bottom of the page. Are you sure you're not misreading what you see? Because you will see that SAME list of active topics from each OS forum and return to the breadcrumb clicker.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

IF BigAl's explanation doesn't explain this then please let us know what skin you are using, in which browser.
StuartR

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

Big Al's explanation was quite instructive and I'm glad he popped in here and responded. Well, since I now know what happens when you click on those breadcrumb navigation links, at least in regard to the "Operating Systems" category, I must say that I'm not happy with how it works. Perhaps this is due to the fact that my own board, which I've had for 14+ years also has breadcrumb navigation as does Vista and Windows 7, all of which don't function in the manner it does here. What this amounts to, of course, is either remembering to scroll down past the "Active Topics" list to where I want to be; Categories, or simply not use the breadcrumbs navigation.

The matter is thus resolved and I've been dun edukated. :grin:
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Pilgrim wrote:... my own board, which I've had for 14+ years also has breadcrumb navigation as does Vista and Windows 7, all of which don't function in the manner it does here.
My "rationalization" probably won't assuage your feelings about it Jeff, but here's the way I look at it. It takes at least two clicks to get to the next forum (or another forum) in that same section, whether you click the Index or the section name. It's that way on your board as well.

The difference here, which I think the phpBB folks consider a benefit ("feechur") is that if you click the section name, you immediately see ALL the active topics in ALL the forums in that section and don't have to go clicking your way through, one forum at a time. I still haven't availed myself of this "feechur" yet 'cuz I'm used to looking at posts in the context of the forum in which they're located.

Of course, if one wants to read other, older posts in a forum, this is all moot.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In the default prosilver skin, the subforums of a category are displayed above the list of recent threads; in the other skins, the subforums are displayed below the list of recent threads.
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

For what it's worth, I do like the feature of being able to see all of the unread posts in the Office Applications group in one place - and I use the prosilver skin most of the time.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

HansV wrote:In the default prosilver skin, the subforums of a category are displayed above the list of recent threads; in the other skins, the subforums are displayed below the list of recent threads.
Why the different layouts?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

We haven't created the skins ourselves, we downloaded and installed them.
subsilver2 was the default skin in the previous version of the forum software we use: phpBB2. The AeroBlack, Minimal and Rainbow Pearl skins are - different as they may look - all based on subsilver2.
prosilver is the default skin in the current version, phpBB3. The designers have radically changed the layout of many screens, for example user info is displayed to the right of posts instead of to the left. The layout of the category screen (such as Operating Systems or Office Applications) has been changed too.
Users can choose the skin that best suits their preferences. Of course, it won't be possible to satisfy everybody completely.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Thanks,
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living