Eileen's Portal

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Eileen's Portal

Post by DaveA »

Bigaldoc wrote:I don't ever get any "errors" when I use the Back button. Mebbe you could elaborate a bit, huh?
This happens with IE 8
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't get error messages when I use the Back button in IE8. What exactly do they say?
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I do NOT always get it it but several times per visit, so I have learned not to use it.
But this is what I get, see attachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This may occur for example when you preview a post or reply, or when you search. This happens on many discussion boards - it happened in the old Woody's Lounge, and it happens in the Windows Secrets Lounge.
It also depends on your settings in Tools | Internet Options.
Firefox appears to be somewhat better in keeping cached versions of such temporary pages.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:I don't get error messages when I use the Back button in IE8. What exactly do they say?
I use IE8 and will get the error message as Dave shows in his post, if I reply to a post and then attempt to go back to the original using the back button. This did not happen using the old Lounge software or using that other place.
If I just read a post or thread and go back, It works fine without the error.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

viking33 wrote: I use IE8 and will get the error message as Dave shows in his post, if I reply to a post and then attempt to go back to the original using the back button. This did not happen using the old Lounge software or using that other place.
If I just read a post or thread and go back, It works fine without the error.
But if you reply to a post and wait patiently (usually only a second or two in my experience), the Lounge automatically takes you back to the last post.
Samantha

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

I do see the error occasionally if I open a thread, then use the Back Arrow to go back to the forum index, but not all the time.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

viking33 wrote:
HansV wrote:This did not happen using the old Lounge software or using that other place.
In the old wwwthreads Lounge, Eileen used to stress that we should NEVER use the Back button...
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Samantha wrote:
viking33 wrote:
But if you reply to a post and wait patiently (usually only a second or two in my experience), the Lounge automatically takes you back to the last post.
Hmmm.... not in my case?

Just tried it gain and got the error. Also made sure "save encrypted files to disk" was unchecked in IE options, advanced tab.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ladybugblue
Lounger

Post by ladybugblue »

Just want to say hi to old friends in the new place. Or would it be "vintage"? I'm AngelaJ from Woody's Lounge, and followed HansV's thoughtfully left breadcrumbs to get here.

Angela

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Angela,

Good to see you here! Welcome to our new home, you'll see many familiar names.
Best wishes,
Hans

pmatz
StarLounger

Post by pmatz »

Hi to all also, thanks Hans for the 'breadcrumbs'! Very nice to see this 'old friends in a new place' as Angela says :)).
Liking the portal too - excellent work!
Well, looks like I'd better get busy, I'm back to a lurker now!!

Paul
thanks, Paul.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Paul,

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge! And you're already a NewLounger!
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Hi Geoff, thanks for your comments.

1. The clock isn't really necessary but at least one Lounger likes it, see higher up in this thread.
2. Did you close the browser entirely and still retain the style you set in the Portal?
3. We'll look into this, but it'll probably require advanced tweaking.
4. The 'recent topics' list still seems useful to me because it shows which topics have had activity recently.
5. Why is the user menu less useful on the right hand side?
6. The stats have a vertical layout, I don't think they would look good at the bottom.
Hans, this is my first time to view this topic. I love the beautiful clock,and wish I was able to copy it on my desktop instead of the bland one supplied by Microsoft. Add my name to the members that find the clock both useful and enjoyable to look at.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thank you, Gloria.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Gloria E wrote:Hans, this is my first time to view this topic. I love the beautiful clock,and wish I was able to copy it on my desktop instead of the bland one supplied by Microsoft. Add my name to the members that find the clock both useful and enjoyable to look at.
I don't remember why I think I saw this somewhere, Gloria, but I think the author of the Portal addon for this board uses the clock you can find here: ClockLink.com - Free Flash World Clock

The only trouble is, there aren't many selections for DESKTOP use. Most of the good ones are for web page use. However, I've had one of theirs on my XP desktop ever since I installed Vista a year ago. When I saw the Vista clock "gadget" I went looking for something to use in XP. Now, if you're wanting to use this in Vista or Windows 7, I have no idea if it will work.

Here's a small clip of the upper-right corner of my XP desktop:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

omega0401
StarLounger

Post by omega0401 »

I like the design of the portal and web site. This forum is in memory of Eileen Wharmby. I don't know who Eileen is but obviously she has some pretty nice friends who think very highly of her.

Thank you for putting this forum together.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi omega0401,

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Eileen Wharmby created Woody's Lounge, which has now become the Windows Secrets Lounge. She was known as 'Mum' by those who were active in Woody's Lounge in the early years of this century - that says something about her style. She had to step back because of health problems, and she passed away in 2004, but she was not forgotten.
Best wishes,
Hans

omega0401
StarLounger

Post by omega0401 »

HansV wrote:Hi omega0401,

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Eileen Wharmby created Woody's Lounge, which has now become the Windows Secrets Lounge. She was known as 'Mum' by those who were active in Woody's Lounge in the early years of this century - that says something about her style. She had to step back because of health problems, and she passed away in 2004, but she was not forgotten.
And thank you for leaving a link so I/we can find this forum.

It was nice to read additional history about the old Lounge and sad to hear of Eileen's passing. To be known as Mum from all her friends must have been special to her. What a nice tribute to have this Lounge in her honor. Even though I don't know her I think you picked a pretty good name for the Lounge.

Thanks for all your help you've given me and countless others in the past!!!

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

Like any good Mum, Eileen could give you a good talking to if you misbehaved. I'm among many who received one of her little "don't do that again" PMs. :blush:

She wasn't always milk and biccies. :laugh:
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens