Lounge Passwords

wasbit
2StarLounger

Lounge Passwords

Post by wasbit »

FYI.

I have just received the login message "You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts" as warned of in the topic "Make Sure Your Password is Safe" - http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5542" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even though my password isn't particlarly strong it was obviously good enough in this instance.
Regards
wasbit

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Re: Lounge Passwords

Post by tedshemyers »

Are you sure you inputed the password correctly? I would suggest using the Contact the administrators link:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I noticed the same this morning, and I have seen it earlier, and I can ensure you that I did enter my password correctly. So I would recommend all to follow the Administrators' recommendations regarding this. (And as we all know, this could happen at any place on the net; so good passwords are essential, but of course depending on what’s at stake.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

tedshemyers wrote:Are you sure you inputed the password correctly?
Oh yes Ted. :smile: However for serious passwords I always use copy & paste.

The reason why the message was so noticable was because it instantly said that the number of wrong attempts had been exceeded & not the normal login details are incorrect and to try again.

My post was meant as a reminder that attemps are still being made to try to steal identities.
Regards
wasbit

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Argus wrote:I noticed the same this morning, and I have seen it earlier, and I can ensure you that I did enter my password correctly. So I would recommend all to follow the Administrators' recommendations regarding this. (And as we all know, this could happen at any place on the net; so good passwords are essential, but of course depending on what’s at stake.)
I was obedient and made my password here much stronger. However you are correct that other areas of the net are also under attack. I had a very weak password for an old hotmail account which I haven't used for much of anything lately. Sure enough, one day, I decided to log in there and couldn't. Someone had absconded with it. Heaven only knows why since there wasn't anything of use in it. I had cleaned it out a few months prior. Amusingly, when I wrote to hotmail admin for help, they wanted to know particulars about the account. Hard to do since whoever changed it all over, also changed a lot of the things that I could remember about the account. Therefore, the admin said they couldn't help me recover my email address. Oh well. But lesson learned. Make strong passwords for those places you don't want hacked!

:whisper: I corrected a spelling error..... week and weak are not interchangeable! :grin:
Last edited by Skitterbug on 17 Mar 2011, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

To my knowledge, none of my login IDs has ever been compromised; however, I remain paranoid. I was in the habit of making up passwords of information meaningful only to me and close family members and using them ubiquitously. Someone - here I think - reminded me that should the password ever be compromised it might be compromised everywhere.

I now use a different, generated password of the greatest possible length, for each place I am registered. A free app called KeePass made this possible for me. With this application, I first generated a 32 byte random key to protect access to the app which I keep stored in a file that no one but me knows about. (I also have it stored on several computers and my iPhone.) After setting it up, KeePass allows me to create a database entry for each login ID. Each db entry contains all the particulars about the login site plus notes and other data elements. Each day, after booting, I start KeePass (which I renamed to deter any casual hacker) and paste the complex access key into it and keep it active in the app tray. Thereafter, for each website I visit where I'm registered, it's only a couple of clicks to get to a full-strength password and my login or user name.

I find it quite handy and recommend it to anyone who might have numerous login IDs and passwords to keep track of.

Thanks to someone here in Eileen's Lounge for recommending this application. Sorry, but senility prevents me recalling whom to thank by name.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs