Limits on signatures relaxed

HansV
Administrator

Limits on signatures relaxed

Post by HansV »

Because of problems reported by some users of including linked pictures in their signature, the admins have temporarily removed the size limit on images. We have also increased the maximum number of characters to 500.

We would like to ask you to practice moderation when editing your signature. If a member creates an overly bulky signature, we may request him/her to reduce it in size, and if necessary edit it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Re: Limits on signatures relaxed

Post by Hey Jude »

WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!! Thanks Hans and admins. :cheers: I appreciate it. It really is a great improvement. I promise to not abuse it :clapping:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Out of interest, what's the point of knowing what the weather's like underground?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

John Gray wrote:Out of interest, what's the point of knowing what the weather's like underground?
You, a badger, and you have to ask a question like that? :scratch:

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

stuck wrote:...You, a badger, and you have to ask a question like that?
:laugh:
StuartR

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Badger, will you be making your presence known at the Super Bowl to watch your Packers win :evilgrin: :flee:

(note: Wisconsin is the "Badger State" and I'm married to one :laugh: )

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:... temporarily removed the size limit on images.
Hi Hans. Understood, but might you edit the original post to suggest a reasonable size? In the past the system told me when the "image was too big", but I forget the limit.
A posted limit here might help some of us to self-moderate.
Thanks
He who plants a seed, plants life.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The limit for images was 100 pixels high but the software didn't check that correctly. I'd suggest staying within that limit.
And a maximum of 4 lines of standard font size text should be sufficient.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

HansV wrote:Because of problems reported by some users of including linked pictures in their signature, the admins have temporarily removed the size limit on images. [...]
War and Peace novels and flashing images to expect then?
I have never understood the concept (among grown-ups) mentioning all your computer hardware in the signature or adding flashing images. But I guess that once people are getting used to be able to do it at once place, the other have to follow, if they want to remain 'popular'. It's just like the use @ in comments; nowadays we see them almost everywhere, in news paper comments, forums etc., and yes in other languages as well. @Argus tells very little; it doesn't mention which comment, or when it was done. Useless, and also a bit rude in my mind. But we can always change the settings, viewing signatures etc. or not.
[/grumpy]
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

@Argus I only need 7 characters for my signature, so I don't see why anyone would need more
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:The limit for images was 100 pixels high
Thanks Hans.
I've got it now!
It is the limit on size of images in signatures that has been relaxed.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

@StuartR: Well, for quite some time (from 2010-07-03 to 2011-01-25; do you want the exact time?) I didn't use a signature at all, apart from some 24 hours some days ago when I did a test. Then to celebrate the anniversary, sort of, I added one; and currently I'm working my way through another set.

But you are right, and as far as I can remember, or at least for a very long time, there has been a short "StuartR" in your sig. A bit superfluous, don't you think, since your username is already there, left or right. :evilgrin:
Last edited by Argus on 03 Feb 2011, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
HansV wrote:The limit for images was 100 pixels high
Thanks Hans.
I've got it now!
It is the limit on size of images in signatures that has been relaxed.
As the topic says; it would otherwise severely limit our possibilities to show screen shots. :grin: Here is my Desktop:
XYZ.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Hans!

I haven't had much time today for experimenting with the new limits. Maybe tomorrow.

The signature allocation that I see most frequently is 500 bytes. bbCode eats into that allowance, eg, urls and tables, etc.

For Argus and StuartR, I find personal signatures interesting and sometimes revealing about the personalities of those whom one interacts with on the inter webs. The weather bug helps us know where our friends are located and weather conditions there; however it is designed to work with US postal codes only, alas!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I truly thank you Bob for helping me with the format of my signature. It is cool. I've changed zipcodes various times to see what is happening in other parts where family and friends are. Some are in Alaska, and sometimes they are much warmer than I am.