First Anniversary of Eileen's Lounge

HansV
Administrator

First Anniversary of Eileen's Lounge

Post by HansV »

The 24th of January marks the first anniversary of Eileen's Lounge. One year ago, after 8 days of intensive testing, we (i.e. Charlotte, Claude, Hans, Leif, Mike and Stuart) sent out word about the new discussion board to a small group of people, and almost immediately the registrations started pouring in. Many old friends joined us, as well as new ones.

We had no idea whether Eileen's Lounge would be a success or it would fizzle out after a while. Now, after a year, we are very happy with the way it has turned out. We are still very small, but we have over 500 registered members and more than 40,000 posts. Our threads can be searched using Google, something we never dared to do in Woody's Lounge for fear of crashing the server.

We are deeply grateful to all of you – administrating Eileen's Lounge has been an easy and pleasant task. Thank you for helping us make it more than just another discussion board!

This success comes at a price: our visibility has attracted an increasing number of spammers. Initially, they were far and few between, so it was easy to During the last few weeks (which coincidentally have been the busiest since the mad rush of the first two weeks), it became so bad that we have been forced to take measures: see New users now need to be approved by an Admin and Minor lounge updates.

But for now: let's celebrate! Have a glass of lemonade:
Lemonade.jpg
and a piece of cake:
BirthdayCake.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: First Anniversary of Eileen's Lounge

Post by Bigaldoc »

Whooee, I remember it like it was yesterday! It was like one of those big box stores who open the doors to hordes of people waiting to get in AND it was fun!

Cheers to Alan Miller who I think was the first one through the newly opened Lounge doors.

We're like the tortoise - slow but steady! 500+ members is nothing to hold in small matter. We're good to go!

Happy Birthday, Eileen's Lounge and many more!!!

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Has it been a whole year, already? Happy Birthday to us!
Samantha

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:... administrating Eileen's Lounge has been an easy and pleasant task. ...
I don't believe you. :hugs:
Maybe easier and pleasanter than some other places, but i believe it has been a great deal of professional work.

For which I am grateful.

I reproduce here a part of a PM I issued to a member last night; I know that they will forgive me for making this small portion public:

My Universe consists of Eileens Lounge; it's where I get all my answers to everything. e.g. Removing (then rebuilding) a home network.

I can't afford to have an in-house technical guru, and so Eileen's lounge has a dollar value to me of roughly $50,000, because that's what it would probably cost me to have a full-time techie tracking down solutions to my problems, and then the techie would probably just ask on Eileen's Lounge anyway, so for me to not participate would mean forking out $50,000 p.a. to get what I already get for free, and faster (since I am on 24/7 whereas the techie works only 8/5 less tea-and-pee breaks)
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Happy Birthday, Eileen's Lounge! And thanks to all Administrators, making all this possible.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

GREAT !
It's been a terrific experience and a huge pleasure for me to be a part of this world-wide group of friends.
( smart group too! )
The restoration of the warm atmosphere of the "old" Woody's has been accomplished, in Spades! :joy: :music: :wine:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:The 24th of January marks the first anniversary of Eileen's Lounge. One year ago, after 8 days of intensive testing, we (i.e. Charlotte, Claude, Hans, Leif, Mike and Stuart) sent out word about the new discussion board to a small group of people, and almost immediately the registrations started pouring in. Many old friends joined us, as well as new ones.

But for now: let's celebrate! Have a glass of lemonade:

and a piece of cake:
As I was reading posts last night I was reminded of my join date of 24 January 2010 and how quickly the past year has flown!!! I have been on :cloud9: 98% of the time. I am grateful to my friends and comrades and those I have yet to meet. For the most part, the flavour of the postings have been conviviality and camaraderie. May it thus be ever so :cloud9:

My hearty congratulations to all the administrators for bringing this Lounge to fruition. Carry on :cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers: :chocciebar:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Happy Birthday EL

Hartelijk gefeliciteerd!

Happy Birthday!
Last edited by Hey Jude on 24 Jan 2011, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you all . . . Charlotte, Claude, Hans, Leif, Mike and Stuart!

This is a great forum where one can always expect to find willing help for solving your problems. Beyond that, one will always find goodwill and friendly conviviality.

Well Done!!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

TexMex
NewLounger

Post by TexMex »

Happy Birthday to Eileen's Lounge!!
Being one of the newer members I am probably being a little slow to post often.
My first motto is--First Do No Harm.
And I try to be certain any info I post is revelant.

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

I'm stunned that an entire year has passed. So much has changed in the world of lounges during that time...

Congratulations on your success and thank you for keeping us free of posts about little blue pills. :grin:

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Time does continue to fly by especially when there are fun times to be involved in. Keeping up with computer knowledge is definitely handy too! :laugh:
Thank you for daring to go forth in the name of "Eileen's Lounge" to create a pleasant place for us!
Everyone's hard work is appreciated lots and lots by me! Thank you! And Happy Birthday!
:yum: Lemonade and cake! :thumbup:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

I'll add my thanks too. :thankyou:

Ian

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I too am very grateful to the Admins for their efforts in creating and maintaining this Lounge. :thankyou:

I am also very grateful to everyone here for making this place a welcoming community. :thankyou:

One Lounge member in particular understands more than most what I mean by that. The kindness and generosity that they showed to me and my whole family at the end of a short trip last Easter still leaves me stunned.

Here in the UK Jelly and Ice Cream is often on offer at first birthday parties, enjoy!

Ken
Last edited by stuck on 14 Jan 2014, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Well done, chaps! Here's wishing continued success to the home of refugees - and the demise of spammers...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Yeah, right on... :thankyou:      :gramps:

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

Even though I'm new here, it's nice to have another avenue to help my creative juices flow. My thanks also and congratulations for a successful year one! :fanfare:
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

rory
5StarLounger

Post by rory »

Happy Birthday!
My heartfelt thanks to the admins for resurrecting the true spirit of what we regard as the Lounge, as well as their dedication in maintaining it. It amy seem small, but 500 happy members is a lot more than some have. ;)
Regards,
Rory

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

All I can say is well-done folks - Eileen's is the first place I check on every morning! Here's to the best of the second year!
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Congratulations to one and all and many happy returns of the day !!!

My compliments and thanks go, in spades, to the Admins and all the others who do what they do to keep Eileen's the best run site on the web !!! Give up the rest because the best is free and easy !!!
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.