PMs In Eileen's Lounge

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

PMs In Eileen's Lounge

Post by Bigaldoc »

As some may have observed, I'm still finding my way around the phpBB software, with help and (mostly) seeing what's in front of my nose. This is one of those cases. Although initially taken aback, I had gotten used to the "conversation" aspect of the IPB format for PMs.

I just noticed this morning that the phpBB system has a similar function, just below a PM you're reading. It's called "Message History." I think I'm still figuring it out but it seems if you view the Message History from the INBOX, it shows you those you have sent to that same person in that "exchange." Doing so from the SENT folder doesn't show all of the messages in the exchange, i.e. the incoming ones.

It also seems that PMs can once again be "archived" but I'm not sure which of the three available formats is best for ME to use. Two of the choices are .CSV and the other is .XML

Is it possible to add plain old HTML to that selection like we had in IPB2 ?

And what's a good way (program) to view those XML files? If Open Office does so, I don't know how.

Leif
Administrator

Re: PMs In Eileen's Lounge

Post by Leif »

What do you actually want to 'archive' the messages for? You are probably just as well off printing them to pdf if you want to capture all the graphics etc.

If you save the data in xml format, you should be able to open it with Firefox or IE.
Leif

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Al, instead of archiving to a different format, why don't you just create a new folder called "Archive" (or, for the uber-prolific, Archive1, Archive2, etc..) and move the 50 oldest messages there?
Samantha

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Leif wrote:What do you actually want to 'archive' the messages for? You are probably just as well off printing them to pdf if you want to capture all the graphics etc.
For the same reason we keep posts and threads and some of us keep emails around. It's nice to be able to lookup something that happened or a tip or ...
Printing to PDF means each and every individual PM? (Please, you have to remember that my breadth of knowledge about such stuff is narrow.)
If you save the data in xml format, you should be able to open it with Firefox or IE.
Yes, that works and although not as good as HTML for readability sake, it'll have to do if HTML isn't available.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Samantha wrote:Al, instead of archiving to a different format, why don't you just create a new folder called "Archive" (or, for the uber-prolific, Archive1, Archive2, etc..) and move the 50 oldest messages there?
That would work, Samantha, thank you. I was, in a manner similar to email via an ISP, looking for a way to "get them off the server" without discarding them.