Must Register to read posts???

BillW
3StarLounger

Must Register to read posts???

Post by BillW »

Several days ago I posted a question while trying to help my daughter solve a problem with Outlook. I got great answers here and forwarded one of the email notices to her so she could read the responses. She tried to read them but couldn't because she was not registered. :sad:

Why is registration required in order to read posts?

Thanks,
Bill

HansV
Administrator

Re: Must Register to read posts???

Post by HansV »

Everybody can read our forums, no registration is required. You only need to be registered and logged if you want to start a new thread or post a reply.
If you point her to http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3996, she should be able to read your question and the replies.

Did the link that you forwarded contain info specific to your user account?
Best wishes,
Hans

BillW
3StarLounger

Post by BillW »

Hans,

I've done some more experimenting and there are somewhat confusing results! Before posting my message I had forwarded one of the reminder emails about a response to my original post to my wife's PC which is not logged into Eileen's forum and I encountered the same problem my daughter did. After receiving your answer to this posting I forwarded that email notice message to my wife's PC and tried again. This time I was more careful and I tried each of the links in that message -- see the image of the message below. The first link resulted in a requirement to login as seen in the 2nd image below. The other two links did result in viewing this message thread.

Thanks, Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, that is a useful screenshot. The URL in the address bar is http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic. ... 03&e=31503. The last part &e=31503 specifies which post within the thread the notification is for. But a notification obviously only applies to registered members. Without that last addition, the URL can be opened by everyone.
Best wishes,
Hans

BillW
3StarLounger

Post by BillW »

Thanks Han, that explains it!

Bill

BillW
3StarLounger

Post by BillW »

BTW, when I view my message with 2 attachments above, I see the first attachment but only a place holder for the 2nd attachment -- I'm not even certain I attached the correct image! I haven't been able to find any way to view the 2nd attachment. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Bill

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

BillW wrote:BTW, when I view my message with 2 attachments above, I see the first attachment but only a place holder for the 2nd attachment -- I'm not even certain I attached the correct image! I haven't been able to find any way to view the 2nd attachment. What am I doing wrong?
I know I'm jumping in late but Hans is probably "sacked out" by now.

You do know that in order to attach more than one, you have to do them one at a time, don't you? After you browse for the first attachment, add it. Then browse again for a second file and add it. You should see something like these shots after you do the second attachment:
2010-10-30_014536.png
2010-10-30_014625.png
The above two clips are NOT from this post but a test I did just to get sample graphics. Holler back if you still have a problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

BillW wrote:I'm not even certain I attached the correct image!
I suspect that you selected another picture than the one you intended for the second one.

If you wish, you can edit your post, go to the Posted Attachments section and delete the incorrect one, then click on Upload attachment to add the correct one. But you're not obliged to do so, of course.

More info on posting attachments, in addition to Al's wise words (thanks, Al!) in the second and third posts in the thread Tip: post options, attachments and polls.
Best wishes,
Hans

BillW
3StarLounger

Post by BillW »

Well, it turns out that the 2nd image I attached to my earlier message was just that little block instead the image of an email message! I don't know why the screen capture did that but my screen captures with that program have worked fine in the past so that must have been just pilot error. I've learned a lot about attaching images since then so I'm better off now.

Thanks Al and Hans for your help.
Bill