"Logged out" revisited

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

"Logged out" revisited

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I appear to be logged out whenever I reboot (as in Power-off at night, power in in the morning).
The behaviour is common to my most frequently used forums, both of them phpBB.
Win11 since you ask.

This has been going on for about two weeks now, and it is a pain.

This afternoon I ran a test using CCleaner v5.92.9652(64 bit):-
I ran CCleaner
I ran Options, Cookies. None appeared in the left-hand pane.
I exited CCleaner
I logged into Eileen's Lounge and logged in to VoidTools (both phpBB) with username and password.
I exited Firefox 113.0.2
I ran CCleaner
I ran Options, Cookies. None appeared in the left-hand pane.

I can see eileenslounge,com and voidtools.com in the right-hand pane, which suggests to me that cookies are being stored for those BBS.

I have other phpBB subscriptions, and other non-phpBB subscriptions and will happily run tests on those if anyone can suggest tests to ferret out this weasel.
Thanks, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Leif
Administrator

Re: "Logged out" revisited

Post by Leif »

Have you tried the Lounge "Clear cookies" option?
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 19:12
Hi Leif.
No; what is it?
Do you mean me to use a tool like CCleaner and remove the one cookie that I can see?
Or is there some special command - which I can't see in my User Control Panel - that is a part of the phpBB software package?

FWIW I did NOT log off last night, but closed the lid (sleep/hibernate or whatever), and this morning I found I was logged out of the two phpBB (Eileen's & Voidtools).
Untitled.png
Most of my other forums are logged out, too, and this is but an annoyance, a hurdle, so I am prepared to test out any theories over a longer term if it helps to resolve this.

It has been an annoyance on Eileen's Lounge as far back as March 2010, and as as good a body of technical expertise as can be found anywhere, we should be able to solve this, at least to identifying the one or more causes.

I posted a "logged out" topic on Librivox, another phpBB system back on Feb 13, 2022

Is it a specific type of BBS software?
Is it a problem with the Firefox browser?
Is it a quirk of a Win11 release?
Is it related to a time-interval, that is, frequency of use of a BBS?
Is it related to a shutdown followed by a reboot (apparently not)
Is it related to sleep/hibernate/screen-turnoff?
Is it only Forums/BBS, or does it relate to other on;line sites e.g. banking, Library, Stores etc.?
and so on ...
Thanks, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 07 Jun 2023, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 11:07
Leif wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 19:12
Hi Leif.
No; what is it?
Do you mean me to use a tool like CCleaner and remove the one cookie that I can see?
Or is there some special command - which I can't see in my User Control Panel - that is a part of the phpBB software package?
I mean the "Delete cookies" link which you will hopefully see at the bottom of the page:
x.jpg

(The exact appearance may vary between pages and skins.)

It usually works for me when I get logging in/out issues, although I have noticed that it throws up an inconsequential error when used on my Android.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 11:16
I mean the "Delete cookies" link which you will hopefully see at the bottom of the page:
AhHah! Thanks Leif. :thankyou: :clapping:
I must have seen that sometime in the past 13 years, but can not remember that far back. basically i stop reading when i get as far as the latest post!
Untitled.png
OK. I have done the deed and logged myself in again. let us wait and see how long this solution lasts.

For the time being, I would classify this as an Eileen's-Lounge-fix (but I will try it on all my other phpBB forums, which may broaden its scope), and then wait to see which one "breaks" first. That period will let me suggest a benchmark for how long I expect my log-in to be maintained. An acceptance test, if you will.
Cheers, Chris