Another Login Question

BobH
UraniumLounger

Another Login Question

Post by BobH »

Although I recall this subject having arisen many times, I've exhausted my very small bag of tricks to fix the problem.

Every time I leave Eileen's Lounge for a time - how long it takes I know not - I am logged out and must log in again when I return. AND, when presented with the login screen which I complete and duly press the Login button, I am again given the login screen where I must enter credentials and press the button a second time after which I'm connected. Why?

First, I've checked Firefox and though I have the option set to delete cookies on exit, I have moved the URL for Eileen's Lounge to the list of those not to delete. Other URLs in that list do not require sign in after closing Firefox (much less after I leave their pages for a while). I run CCleaner occasionally. I have EL's URL protected from deletion there as well along with the others similarly protected as in Firefox. Only here do I experience the issue of being logged out and then only with the passage of time or directing my browser to a different tab and URL.

If it matters, I run the 'Latte Red' skin (whose actual name I don't recall at the moment).

What am I missing?

??? :scratch:

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Last edited by BobH on 23 Aug 2022, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Another Login Question

Post by HansV »

I am really sorry, but I don't have an answer for you. I am logged out perhaps once every two or three months, but not more frequently...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 16:55
... I am logged out and must log in again when I return. AND, when presented with the login screen which I complete and duly press the Login button, I am again given the login screen where I must enter credentials and press the button a second time after which I'm connected.
Hi Bob.
I am delighted to hear that you have this problem, because I have the same problem, but on a different phpBB based board. (Librivox, since you ask).

On that board I am invariable logged out each day when I return, and yet Eileen's Lounge and four other phpBB systems keep in me, sometimes for months at a time.
And on the Librivox phpBB I am, 19 times out of 20, required to make two login attempts; the second one works.

I do not have these logouts on other, non-phpBB systems.

So I am double delighted: (1) it is not me and (2) it is not you.
I left Win10 set up as "do not update", so I believe that it is not a change in my Win10 code that trips up phpBB, although it may be an update to phpBB - perhaps Librivox and Eileen's Lounge update their phpBB copy but the other phpBB sites I visit do not update so frequently.

I have, over the past nine months, tried every trick I could think of - copy/paste login data from my Password.doc, Copy/paste vie a Notepad.exe text file, but nothing I can dream up seems to solve the dual problems of (a) being logged out and (b) requiring two attempts at logging in.

I am going outside now to sieve more soil and think a bit ...
Cheers, Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

BobH wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 16:55
I've checked Firefox and though I have the option set to delete cookies on exit, I have moved the URL for Eileen's Lounge to the list of those not to delete.
What happens if you test turning the 'clear cookies' option off for a while?

I don't know, but there may be some other cookies from another site (phpBB?) that are needed to retain data.

Just a wild guess...
Leif

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I'll try that, Leif; but the problem seems to be unrelated to shutting down Firefox. Even if I do not close Firefox, I still have the problem, but only here.

In case I didn't state it clearly, I am logged out multiple times every day.

I forgot to mention that I check the Remember Me box each time I log in.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can also try clicking the "Delete cookies" link near the bottom of the Lounge page.
You'll have to log in after that. Perhaps it'll stick.
Best wishes,
Hans

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

What do you use, a bookmark or a password manager to log in. And what url do you use. I use a bookmark https://eileenslounge.com/app.php/portal
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop