Advanced search "Search within"

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Advanced search "Search within"

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Our search facility seems confused about "Subject", "Topic" and "Thread". (Also Posts, but that's a comment for another day).

The Advanced Search dialogue offers four options for "Search Within":-
Untitled.png
(1) Within the context of this part of the Advanced Search dialogue, I suggest that "Subject" and "Topic Titles" and "Topics" are synonymous.

(2) Within the context of this part of the Advanced Search dialogue, I suggest that "Message text" and "First Post" are synonymous with what I think of as the body of the post, user-typed text; NOT including the Subject/Topic/Title/Thread identifier..

To see this in action use the hyperlinks below or run your own tests. NOTE: Quantities will now adjust upwards as a result of this post and subsequent public replies.

The four search hyperlinks below are for author=ChrisGreaves and keyword="table"
Post subjects and message text generates Search found 249 matches: table https://eileenslounge.com/search.php?ke ... ch=300&t=0
Message text only generates Search found 219 matches: table https://eileenslounge.com/search.php?ke ... ch=300&t=0
Topic titles only generates “Search found 14 matches: table” https://eileenslounge.com/search.php?ke ... ch=300&t=0
First post of topics only generates Search found 79 matches: table https://eileenslounge.com/search.php?ke ... ch=300&t=0

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: Advanced search "Search within"

Post by HansV »

"Thread" is a term we frequently use; it's a hold-over from Woody's Lounge. The term phpBB3 uses is "Topic".
A topic consists of a first post plus all its replies (if any, of course).
The person who creates the topic specifies the subject (caption) of the first post. This becomes the title of the topic as a whole.
By default, the subject (caption) of all replies is "Re: topic title". But the person who composes the reply can edit this subject, so the subjects of the replies in a topic aren't necessarily "Re:" plus the topic title. The first option will search in all post subjects of a topic, while the third option will search only the topic title (the subject of the first post).
Message text is the text of any post in a topic, whether the first one or a subsequent one.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 19:38
"Thread" is a term we frequently use; it's a hold-over from Woody's Lounge. The term phpBB3 uses is "Topic".
The person who creates the topic specifies the subject (caption) of the first post. This becomes the title of the topic as a whole.
By default, the subject (caption) of all replies is "Re: topic title". But the person who composes the reply can edit this subject, so the subjects of the replies in a topic aren't necessarily "Re:" plus the topic title. The first option will search in all post subjects of a topic, while the third option will search only the topic title (the subject of the first post).
Message text is the text of any post in a topic, whether the first one or a subsequent one.
Thank Hans.
So for Thread read Topic. "Topic" is the phpBB terminology.
For the rest I will dissect and explore in the Test Area. Should be interesting!
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 19:38
I apologize for re-visiting this thread, but thanks to me we now have a real, live example of a need.
This Topic (and I am not using the old term "thread") is a topic that provides tips for the use of the application Everything.exe.
I have to date posted three tips, identified as "TIP 001", "TIP 002", AND "TIP 003".

I had thought to setup and provide a nifty search URL that would list, preferably one line per tip, a hyperlinked Contents list that looked like this:-

Code: Select all

Multiple file patterns - EVERYTHING TIP 001
Search by Path length - EVERYTHING TIP 002
Search/sort by frequency of file extension - EVERYTHING TIP 003
I now suspect that the phpBB Advanced Search for "EVERYTHING TIP*" will not provide an easy solution, because
The FIRST (of four) option searches the Subject and Body of each post, and so finds stuff like this (below)
Un01.png
The SECOND option searches only message Body (below)
un02.png
The THIRD option will look only at the Subject of the first post, which is also known as "The Topic title",
The FOURTH option searches the Subject and Body of the first post of the topic only.

For my tests I am not too worried about the flurry of posts surrounding moving of responses.
Too I am aware that I could maintain my own hyperlinked contents list within the first post of the topic, adding a line each time I start a new tip.

Thanks, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.