Adding several quotes to a post

Argus
GoldLounger

Adding several quotes to a post

Post by Argus »

I just noticed the other day that you can use the "Topic review", underneath the "post-a-reply-box", if you want to add additional quotes, to comment several posts in a thread. Simple and easy; just scroll down and pick 'em by clicking on quote. Cool.
Probably the last one to find out about this, but since I have not seen a comment on this, and we get new members every day, I post it here.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Adding several quotes to a post

Post by HansV »

Thanks - I suspect that many Loungers overlook this feature.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Must be 'cause I just got new glasses but I can't find it !!! Can I get a helping hand, please, or is it a function of the skin?

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Bigaldoc wrote:Can I get a helping hand, please, or is it a function of the skin?
What skin are you using?
Leif

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Subsilver2.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Click on the 'Quote' button on the right, in the posts below the reply/attachment fields:
x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Aha, so it's AFTER you enter the full editor to compose a reply. I see now and it's no wonder most Loungers don't know to do it. I'll give 'er a test run as soon as I get home later.

THANX Leif!

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Bigaldoc wrote:Aha, so it's AFTER you enter the full editor to compose a reply. I see now and it's no wonder most Loungers don't know to do it. I'll give 'er a test run as soon as I get home later.

THANX Leif!
Hi Al,
I'm sorry that I wasn't clear about where and when. Topic review is there when we use the "Full Editor", and I assumed that most people use that one, most of the time. Also, since different software work differently, sometimes you pick the quotes before you start the reply, and in this case after, I should have mentioned that.

Thanks Leif, for comments and screen shot.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

So one can let things get out of hand
:flee:
One thing I noticed that all of the "Quotes" were nested into a single paragraph and was very hard to see where one stopped and another started.
Leif wrote:Click on the 'Quote' button on the right, in the posts below the reply/attachment fields:[/quote
Bigaldoc wrote:Aha, so it's AFTER you enter the full editor to compose a reply. I see now and it's no wonder most Loungers don't know to do it. I'll give 'er a test run as soon as I get home later. THANX Leif!
Bigaldoc wrote:Subsilver2.
Bigaldoc wrote:Must be 'cause I just got new glasses but I can't find it !!! Can I get a helping hand, please, or is it a function of the skin?
HansV wrote:Thanks - I suspect that many Loungers overlook this feature.
Argus wrote:I just noticed the other day that you can use the "Topic review", underneath the "post-a-reply-box", if you want to add additional quotes, to comment several posts in a thread. Simple and easy; just scroll down and pick 'em by clicking on quote. Cool.
Probably the last one to find out about this, but since I have not seen a comment on this, and we get new members every day, I post it here.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

DaveA wrote:So one can let things get out of hand
:flee:
Well, as I think has been discussed before, I don't think anyone like full quotes, all the time. This is an Internet forum, not a mailing list, so there is little need for full quotes. I, as most I assume, usually try to avoid quotes if possible. If not possible, due to a specific question, sentence etc. that I want to comment, or, to avoid confusion about who is the recipient of my post, I add a quote.
DaveA wrote:One thing I noticed that all of the "Quotes" were nested into a single paragraph and was very hard to see where one stopped and another started.
Nested or not, I guess that depends on where the cursor is when you click on the quote buttons.
Argus wrote:I just noticed the other day that you can use the "Topic review", underneath the "post-a-reply-box", if you want to add additional quotes, to comment several posts in a thread. Simple and easy; just scroll down and pick 'em by clicking on quote. Cool.
HansV wrote:Thanks - I suspect that many Loungers overlook this feature.
Bigaldoc wrote:Subsilver2.
It works over here.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Guess I should be more careful of where the cursor is :blush:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Better to have nesting quotes than nesting ospreys, though.
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Leif wrote:Better to have nesting quotes than nesting ospreys, though.
Oh dear, yet another thread derailed. Before you know it, it'll end up in the fridge.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Not by me, thankfully! I got the tutorial and know what to do in the future, thanks to Leif's response!

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Leif wrote:Better to have nesting quotes than nesting ospreys, though.
I'd love to comment about the nesting ospreys ..... but I won't! :rofl:

However, I will comment on the content of this thread! I've found it to be very helpful! Thanks for the discussion! :yep:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Recently, we've had problems with nesting fish instead, see Testing link and Just what everyone needs...
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Perfect! :thumbup:
I'm mopping up the tears from laughing so hard! Thanks for the links! :yep:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Arrgh, I've completely lost my memory and everything, it seems (including marbles).

Yesterday I was browsing some of my old posts, perhaps looking for something, but I guess I forgot that as well…, because I found this in a post I did 26 Jan, in Lounge Matters > I love the way ...:
I've found that if you start with one quote from one post, but would like to add another quote from another post you can use the "Topic review" area (below the "Post a reply" box) and just click quote on the post, then perhaps rearrange the quotes. Nice.
Gee; so, the administrators can remove three posts from my post count, generated earlier in this thread. :grin:

Oh well, now I know how it's going to be in the future; we're all going pass along the same tips & tricks as we did the previous week, then the previous day, then... :sigh:

Reminds me about, (hmm, a memory or am I just making this up?), I think it was, Walkenbach that found some nifty Excel related thing on the net, only to find out that he had written it himself (not saying that the above was nifty, and above all, it's there in the software).

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

It's like being good at hiding your own Easter eggs!

My better half swears she's never seen anyone better at it than I am.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs