Just an idea for anyone interested.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Just an idea for anyone interested.

Post by hlewton »

I don’t like to duplicate anything when asking for help, but that inevitability will happen on occasion. This is what I have done to help eliminate that from happening. I created an Excel spreadsheet with a link to every topic I created here. I now have a clickable link to every topic I ever stared in this lounge. Now if I need some advice, I can first search my spreadsheet with a key word to see if I may have already asked for help on that topic.

I just thought someone may like to use this idea for their own posts.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Just an idea for anyone interested.

Post by HansV »

Thanks, that is a lovely idea!
Best wishes,
Hans

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

I often think about doing this sort of thing. But I never seem to be organized enough to actually do it. Kudos to you!
—Nick

I’m only an egg (but hard-boiled)

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

That is a good idea, IMO , I think it could be very useful, especially as it seems that a Google search is not all it used to be – maybe the internet is getting so flooded with info that it makes it harder to find what you want.
I have noticed that when I search now for the same things I found a few years ago , it seems harder to find them.
So making your own list is becoming a more attractive idea.
I have been trying to get around to doing that myself. I just need to get a long list of all my posts everywhere.
I have a VBA search macro that searches for something based on 3 words, - That is good to search down the list..

Those three words can be complete words or parts thereof.
First it tries to find all three bits in a title.
If it fails it looks for the first two, and finally if that fails it looks just for the first word.

I use that currently to look up food in a massive long list, and it works quite well.
So I just need a hyperlink list of all my posts, then apply my macro to that
But searching the spreadsheet with a key word is also an option.

I wish I had kept a list of all the URL links to all the post I did. Stupidly by the time I started I had already forgotten a few thousand Threads :( maybe a blessing in disguise, - it gives me a headache reading my own posts myself sometimes )
_.____
Something along the same lines to find my Excel files in my messy file organisation:
I have a macro that makes a file explorer type listing of all file and folders ( http://www.excelfox.com/forum/showthrea ... #post11026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) ( That was developed here actually, but the posts were lost :( )
Once you have that Explorer view spreadsheet you can search that to find a file title.
_.___

One thing that I think is a good habit to get into is giving a very good descriptive file name , or post title,. Then when you loose it , it makes it a lot easier to find
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also