New to the lounge

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

New to the lounge

Post by Nick Vittum »

Hello all. I know some of you (or have at least lurked about your threads) on other boards. But here I am, a newbie.

A simple question: is it possible to subscribe to a thread, but not get e-mail notifications (or at least only get them once a day)? It seems like I saw that option somewhere yesterday while looking for something else. But now I can't find it.
—Nick

I’m only an egg (but hard-boiled)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: New to the lounge

Post by viking33 »

Nick Vittum wrote:Hello all. I know some of you (or have at least lurked about your threads) on other boards. But here I am, a newbie.

A simple question: is it possible to subscribe to a thread, but not get e-mail notifications (or at least only get them once a day)? It seems like I saw that option somewhere yesterday while looking for something else. But now I can't find it.
Hi Nick,
I think you can accomplish what you want by going into the User Control Panel but to be sure, one of the Admins can steer you in the right direction.
Welcome to the Loungue! :thumbup:
Last edited by viking33 on 23 Feb 2020, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy, Nick!!!! Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!!!

I'm not an admin but I think this will work for you: User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Display Options > Notify me upon replies by default:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Welcome to the Lounge.
As mentioned above, though you will only get one email notification per topic/thread; the first reply (to you or anyone else) after your last visit. As you may have seen in an email notification by now: "No more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic."

(Then there are Digests, email summaries.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

BobH wrote:Howdy, Nick!!!! Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!!!

I'm not an admin but I think this will work for you: User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Display Options > Notify me upon replies by default:
Found it! (under posting defaults) Thank you, and think you both for the welcome. :smile:
—Nick

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hello Nick
Welcome here.
As Bob said I am sure an Admin will set you straight on the subscription issue

I do not quite know what you mean by “subscribe to a thread, but not get e-mail notifications „ … as i understood it , subscribed means You get notifications. .. No subscription, no notifications..
Maybe it is the Digest sytem you are referinfg to ( http://www.eileenslounge.com/ucp.php?i=202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )***

I know my way around the subscription issue on a lot of Forums, but I have never quite figured them out here.

The default as far as I know is getting an Email Notification for a reply in a thread that you started or replied to.
I think then, those notification for a particular thread will stop for that thread if you do not visit the Lounge and / or that thread after a notification of any reply in that Thread. I think that is something like what Argus was saying.
So if you keep looking in to any thread you will keep getting new notifications of replies in that thread, provided you either started the thread or made at least one reply in it.

So , for example, starting from after I post this, I will get an Email notification of any other replies to it. As long as I respond to those by visiting, ( and logging in), then I will keep getting notifications of further replies. I think I may also need to view the Thread. I am not sure. If I ignore a notification to a reply in this thread, then I won’t get any more notifications of further replies in this Thrread.
I think I would still get at least one notification in other threads I had posted in, if i ignore notifications of replies in this one
I am not sure.

In my experience Email notifications are very reliable here. In most other forums they are increasingly unreliable and often erratically stop working for some members . No one can figure out why. So my instinct is generally not to rely on them.
And hey, this is a friendly place, so just pop by regularly and check out wot’s happened :)

( *** I gave up trying to figure out how the Digest system here works. I could not seem to get it to work for me. But probably that is due to my stupidity. )

Alan
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

Doc.AElstein wrote: I do not quite know what you mean by “subscribe to a thread, but not get e-mail notifications „ … as i understood it , subscribed means You get notifications. .. No subscription, no notifications..
Thanks, Alan. I expect you're right. On some sites I've been on, "subscribing" controls what you first see when you log in, and getting e-mail notifications is a separate choice above and beyond that. But I actually think what you describe is the more common case. I think I'll unsubscribe and try using the bookmarks feature instead.
—Nick

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Ahh, now I see it at the bottom, …. as always it takes me a few years to get the obvious….
Ahh Now I see it.JPG : https://imgur.com/YjEirLT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; : https://imgur.com/hPwf71P" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And Manage Subscriptions….
Ahh Now I see it.JPG : https://imgur.com/Cv8JJE0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

( did I ever mention I am a bit thick? )
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also