How to Stay Logged In to Eilleens Lounge

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: How to Stay Logged In to Eilleens Lounge

Post by viking33 »

Me too, once more. :sick:
Somehow :clapping: , I managed to get logged in this time.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

HansV wrote:Sometimes, when the problem occurs while you're logged in, you can't post or reply, but neither can you log out!
Not as bad as that, fortunately, but I found I had been logged out when I visited the lounge yesterday . Logged in OK today as you can deduce!
Silverback

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

I missed the downtime fortunately.

This time I was back on the lounge without having had to log on again.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Down yesterday unable to login, and again today.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

GeoffW wrote:Down yesterday unable to login, and again today.
Since the source of these login issues etc. has not been identified, is it possible that there is an intermittent attack on the web site :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think so - the forums continue to work normally for some users while others are locked out. It is some kind of glitch on the server where it randomly fails to assign a valid session ID... :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

I noticed an unusual Bot on a site where I am Moderator. I don’t know how long it has been active as I was not around the computer for a while until the end of last year.
What it does is that it floods the site with views, as far as I can see at total random places, mostly at Threads but also at things like user profiles, and anything else that you can access from the main portal.
The time at which this occurs is random. Approximately 1 – 2 times in every 24 hrs. The time period varies from about 10 minutes to a couple of hours.
The IP addresses are very similar, just varying in the last few digits.
The most interesting thing that I have noticed is that the views intensity slowly on average rises by each of these period times.
The end result is that every few days there is a new record on “Most users ever online”. It is a very noticeable increase.

I don’t know how forum software works but I would think that eventually , if it continues to increase then eventually such a massive amount of visits at one time would have some effect on the working of the forum software, somehow it would be “swamped”???
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Eileen's Lounge doesn't have all that many visitors. It's usually below 20, and the max was 164 in December of last year. The forum software should be able to handle many thousands of simultaneous visitors.
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Eileen's Lounge has not been "visited" then by the bot I mentioned. Currently that bot adds about a thousand visitors when it “visits”.
Hopefully the forum software there can also handle many thousands of simultaneous visitors , then it should not cause any problems.
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:Eileen's Lounge doesn't have all that many visitors. It's usually below 20, and the max was 164 in December of last year. The forum software should be able to handle many thousands of simultaneous visitors.
Speaking of Bots ... I just noticed there were 6 registered users on line ... you, I and if you count the Bots the total = 6. Does one assume that Bots have to register in order to access the site? If so, and if it was proven that Bots cause the login/out scenario then the problem is easily resolved! :grin:
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Er, no. If I or another admin decide that a guest is a bot (we can see their IP address and user agent string), we add it to a list of known bots.
Known bots cannot register as a 'real' user and they cannot view everything an ordinary guest can see.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:Er, no. If I or another admin decide that a guest is a bot (we can see their IP address and user agent string), we add it to a list of known bots.
Known bots cannot register as a 'real' user and they cannot view everything an ordinary guest can see.
But it does look like the system considers them to be registered. For example, after my reference to the count of 6, a few minutes later the count was down to 4. Myself and 3 Bots.
8E206882-244A-4B49-9AE3-3754047FF505.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's just the way our forum software phpBB3 handles bots. They are treated as a special class of 'registered' users that has even fewer permissions than a guest.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:That's just the way our forum software phpBB3 handles bots. They are treated as a special class of 'registered' users that has even fewer permissions than a guest.
And, another new learning experience for me... :hairout:
Regards,
Bob

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BobArch2 wrote:Speaking of Bots ... I just noticed there were 6 registered users on line ... you, I and if you count the Bots the total = 6.
Bot, bot, bot, and bot, you're never alone in the Lounge :grin: Well, except on rare occasions.

(That's one thing for sure, just as every dish includes spam, spam, spam, lovely spam, wonderful spam. RIP Terry Jones.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.