couldn't login, was it just me?

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Re: couldn't login, was it just me?

Post by Doc.AElstein »

It seems that the problem effects different accounts at different times. Many of us have experienced that we were not able to log in when others were logged in normally

This idea, if it is acceptable to the Administration, as an intermediate solution , might at least double your chances of getting in…._

_....Register another account, making clear who you are, like GeoffW_2, or GeoffW@VPN

If you get the problem with your main account , then you could try the second account.

In forums, making multiple accounts is usually frowned upon. But I think if you make it clear who you are, then possibly it would be acceptable to try this?

If you have a VPN possibility, then better still. You could register and use the second account hidden behind your VPN. That might help to make the forum software see you as a different entity.

I have not had the problem for a while. But when I did, I did try logging in when connected hidden behind different VPN servers. That did not make any difference. But I was always using the same account.
I only have a single account at Eileen’s lounge.

Some other Forums allow multiple accounts provided you make it clear who you are. I am sure I have seen Members here use a second account previously when they were having problems logging in on their main account.
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

It's not on the outside, so changing IP address, or worse, creating another account using a different IP address, won't change a thing in the long run, apart from adding confusion in the latter case, me thinks.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

One thing I have leant in my short time around computers is that a second solution is always a good idea.
It’s not like a car that goes wrong, that should be fixed or replaced.
If something in computing goes wrong, especially if it has something to do with the internet, then often if you ignore it, ( if you can – if you have an alternative solution ) , then sometimes the problem sorts itself out…. That’s why I was only suggesting the second account as a temporary work around.

…while I am here an interesting story I wanted to air for some time… So I have 20 mostly older computers.. A few months ago a prominent cloud sharing site” went down” .. there was lots of reports about it for a few days. Apparently , no one could access it. Further googling on the problem suggested that the problem was such that it was completely impossible to access the site as some important certificate in a chain was missing.
Well I couldn’t access it either. .. on most of my computers. On an old vista machine that had a strange intermittent problem on the internet for years and mostly was never used could access live all my files at the cloud sharing site, upload, download as normal. Theoretically that was impossible. My guess is that the machine has a very unusual mixture of missing updates and posses unique characteristics. Often it won’t run instillation programs unless I can find a much older version of the .exe file.

The fact is, computing has got to the stage that the best experts have lost control. So any crazy sounding idea is worth a try….

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

GeoffW wrote:I'm getting a little sick of this.
We all are Geoff.

Unfortunately we can't see any pattern in what is happening, and the only potential solution is to completely wipe and replace the lounge, potentially losing all our old posts and user registrations if we make a mistake. It's not bad enough for that to be a viable solution yet.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As an admin, I have a test account Dopje to see what the Lounge looks like to non-admin users. When I'm locked out as admin, I cannot log in as Dopje either...
Best wishes,
Hans

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

HansV wrote:As an admin, I have a test account Dopje to see what the Lounge looks like to non-admin users. When I'm locked out as admin, I cannot log in as Dopje either...
The link to this was HTTP I was not able to log in, when I changed it to HTTPS I was able to log in.
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That works sometimes, but unfortunately not always. But it's certainly worth a try!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

GeoffW wrote:..I'm getting a little sick of this.
We all are but as the Admins have already made clear several times there is nothing that can be done about it, at least not at the moment.
Ted Myers wrote:...The link to this was HTTP I was not able to log in, when I changed it to HTTPS I was able to log in.
As Hans has just restated, using HTTPS rather than HTTP is not the answer. The problem occurs with both protocols. That's certainly been my experience.

Ken

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Sometimes the links are all HTTP, usually from admins, other times they are HTTPS usually ordinary members.
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I've noticed that, after it was mentioned. I use email as notifications; I've never clicked on a link in a lounge email (or any email for that matter :laugh:).
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

stuck wrote:We all are but as the Admins have already made clear several times there is nothing that can be done about it, at least not at the moment.
My frustration is not directed at any of the admins, and if it sounded personal, I apologise. It was not intended to be. It was just a general frustration about a situation.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

We all feel that frustration!
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Ted Myers wrote:
HansV wrote:As an admin, I have a test account Dopje to see what the Lounge looks like to non-admin users. When I'm locked out as admin, I cannot log in as Dopje either...
The link to this was HTTP I was not able to log in, when I changed it to HTTPS I was able to log in.
I think it's already been noted that sometimes it works with one but not always so. Circumstantial evidence, Mr.M! :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

was it just me? - why not try a few others then??

Post by Doc.AElstein »

I just had a passing thought … I guess an Admin can maybe get a hard copy list of all Usernames and Passwords??
Maybe next time an Admin is unable to log in, if he ( she ) is in the mood , maybe he ( she ) might want to borrow an account or two, just to see if they log in..
Was just a passing thought ..

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

We certainly don't have a list of users' passwords! The passwords are encrypted, and nobody can read them!
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

You can have mine if you like.. I haven’t had a problem logging in for some time.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, thank you. As I mentioned above, I already have a second username, and so do the other admins...
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

I keep being logged out of the forum but am logging in OK (crossed fingers).
Silverback

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have three different accounts that I can use, StuartR, LoungeAdmin, and a test user account (Bananas). When the problem occurs I am unable to login to any of them, even if I change my VPN connection so I am coming from a different IP address. I also can't login from any device - phone, tablet, or two different PCs.
StuartR

bananas
NewLounger

Post by bananas »

That's what I see too!
:bananas: