couldn't login, was it just me?

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Re: couldn't login, was it just me?

Post by GeoffW »

I'm also seeing this happen more frequently.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

We are very sorry about that, but we still don't have the slightest idea what causes it. We've tried a few suggested remedies, but none worked... :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

I'm experiencing just the opposite of Keith and Geoff. This has only happened to me once in approximately the last three weeks. That one time, I wasn't kicked out - I was presented with the Login/Register page, and when I entered the information, it worked :clapping: .
Very strange. :scratch:
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

It's odd for sure. As I mentioned I've only experienced it once (in October; well, I've only mentioned it once, so could be more but :smile:). I guess I'm in a rare minority which log in and out manually (and I eat my cookies).

It's not a single country or group of IP addresses; it's not just one browser (and I imagine that there could be quite some different configurations; allow everything (not much here), or just the script and cookie that's needed etc.). And I also guess there are different devices experiencing this, desktops, laptops and mobiles (some use data saving others not etc.). And above all, it's a recent problem, the site wasn't created a week ago with work still in progress; and I imagine for example style matches the phpBB version; and it's intermittent.

The only "positive" with this thread, and rather unique in forums ... is that the OP isn't alone. :hugs: :joy: :crazy:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Even the admins are locked out from time to time...
(Fortunately, not simultaneously)
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Last time I was locked out it affected me on multiple devices, using multiple usernames, from multiple IP addresses. I have no idea how the lounge knew they were all me!
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I don't know if this will help, but I had a strange problem yesterday. First, I tried to make a post and got the following response screen.
Lounge. PNG.PNG
I tried submitting the post several times with the same result each time. Deciding that there was a temporary glitch somewhere and remaining logged in (or so I thought because I tried no lounge activity), I ignored the situation assuming it would be sorted. Later, I found that I had been logged out. When I clicked the Login button, I was presented the login screen and could enter my user name but could not enter my password. I didn't not the time but I'd guess it was around 1800 CST (US).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

StuartR wrote:Last time I was locked out it affected me on multiple devices, using multiple usernames, from multiple IP addresses. I have no idea how the lounge knew they were all me!
You Admins haven't added some AI by accident, have you? :smile:
Maybe it's time for some cache flushing and a reboot? :compute:
And then, of course, we'll never get in ... shouldn't upset the server.

https://xkcd.com/1739/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or updating the forum software.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Argus wrote:...
Or updating the forum software.
Unfortunately the forum software can't be updated. We would have to install the latest version, and then manually recreate the lounge. There are years of history in how the lounge has been customized and we would lose all of it.
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Last night, I was reading this thread and thinking "I'm glad this has stopped logging me out." I moved to another Forum and there I was, LOGGED OUT again!
Then I tried to log back in and it wouldn't allow me back, no matter what I tried, so I turned off the Lounge for the night.Tonight, I tried to get back and STILL NG! Tried unsucessfully more than the aloowed number of attempts and had to try entering the "verify" name and guess I did OK, since, here I am! Got to be a real PITA hopefully I'm OK now? :scratch: :hairout: :groan:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Hello, if you use your search section of your browser for Eileen's Lounge you will find it is now HTTPS (etc) I changed my bookmark and dont get any trouble.
When you get notified of new post to the thread your following by email, the links are for HTTP. Sometimes they work sometimes not.
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That depends on the browser - some browsers tend to switch to https automatically.
Best wishes,
Hans

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Just tried your mail link to your post Hans at 11:45 using FireFox in Win10 laptop. Had to get here using a bookmark.
Will try with Chrome later.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

StuartR wrote:We would have to install the latest version, and then manually recreate the lounge.
Perhaps save that till the situation is really bad.

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Just tested Chrome using the link in the notification from Argus. It worked because the link was for HTTPS (etc)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Once again I cannot submit a post.
Lounge2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It often succeeds if you click Submit again.

You managed to submit this post!
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

^^^^
I tried repeatedly to submit it without success. I then closed the tab, navigated to other sites, returned and opened a tab for the lounge then was successful in making the post including the SS.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Ted Myers wrote:Just tested Chrome using the link in the notification from Argus. It worked because the link was for HTTPS (etc)
About an hour ago, I was locked out AGAIN. (using HTTPS ) I have had this go out on me using the secure URL and plain old HTTP. I think that is just going out on a false path. HTTPS or not.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Again. Second time in a few days. Third time in a week.

I'd been logged on, I responded to a message, and then couldn't post it. It was several hours before I could log back on.

I'm getting a little sick of this.