couldn't login, was it just me?

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

couldn't login, was it just me?

Post by stuck »

About half an hour ago (~08:45 UK time MOn 21 Oct) I visited Scuttlebutt and saved my B&W picture of the old tree to my PC here at work. I then tried to add a reply but Something HappenedTM and I found myself logged out. I then couldn't get back in, despite clearing all board cookies / clearing the FF cache / closing and restarting Firefox several times. I'd get to the login page, enter my user name and password, click login and find myself back at the login page with the username and password fields empty once again.

Now though, as you can see, I'm back. The login worked this time and, as it's been forever, I don't have to login when I return to The Lounge.
:scratch: :shrug:

Alls ell that ends well.

Ken

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: couldn't login, was it just me?

Post by Argus »

I wrote this before trying to login ...
Never happened here. I log in and out every time. (Seen other things, General Error has visited with a SQL error etc.) And since there are very few visitors to the Lounge, most of the time, you would have noticed if there was anyone else around.

Since we're still on summer time, I, when not logged in, always add 2 hours at first glance, and when I saw your post "08:37" that would mean 10:37 here, and 09:37 your place, and half an hour ~ earlier would then be 09:00-09:07. Are you sure? :grin: Spooky!
A man in the middle eating cookies so you didn't get logged in? :grin:
Paranormal distribution.jpg
Then this happened when I tried to log in and post a reply:
(So the answer is no, it wasn't just you.)
20191021_Lounge_extra_login.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Ah, sorry...

The "'half an hour" time difference I mention between when I had a problem, which was around 08:45 UK time today, Mon 21 Oct 2019 and the time of my post at 09:37, which as you correctly deduce is closer to an hour than half an hour, is because I wrote the post but didn't get as far as submitting it. Someone appeared at my desk and I had to stop and do some real work with them. Once that task was out the way and I returned to my post I failed to update the text about "half an hour" to "an hour" before I clicked submit.

The conclusion seems to be that it was a real problem but a fleeting one and all is well once again.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It even happened to me and Rudi. We have no idea what caused this. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:...We have no idea what caused this...
Maybe someone at the hosting company put some papers down on their desk and the papers landed on a keyboard, pressing a key and...

Or maybe they spilt their coffee and...

:grin:

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:The conclusion seems to be that it was a real problem but a fleeting one and all is well once again.
It happened to Hans and Rudi, and me too.
I figured that I had at long last been promoted in the Lounge Hierarchy.
Either that or I had fouled my vote in the federal election this morning (grin)
Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

It was all the cat's fault, it just walked across the keyboard!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:It even happened to me and Rudi. We have no idea what caused this. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Add my name to the members experiencing intermittent login problems.
No big deal but just an annoyance. :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

My desktop PC at home has just required me to login but maybe because I've not used it for a couple of days (long story involving 'boiler issues') it's just playing catch up and will be OK from here on. My netbook has been fine, as has my desktop PC at work, for over 24 hours.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:My desktop PC at home has just required me to login ...
Welcome to the ranks of the exalted :evilgrin:
Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I encountered this problem again this afternoon (it occurred to me earlier this week). I was logged in reading my unread posts. When going from one post to the next I noticed that my board style changed from subsilver2 to the default and I was proceeding as a user who was not logged-in. I logged out and could no longer log in until after supper. To paraphrase Ken, Something Is Still Happening.TM
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

It's not just you Paul. The admins are looking at this, but at the moment we're all just scratching our heads in confusion.
StuartR

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

I had the same problem as everybody else. I would have reported it if I had been able to log in. Or I would have been able to see if others had the same problem.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

It's working well today...
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

I'm glad I read the first part of this thread, so when my login was denied I just figured it was more of the same, and would eventually be remedied.

As every programmer knows, there's nothing more infuriating than an intermittent error.

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Re: couldn't login, was it just me? Log in Problems

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hi
I see that there were some problems logging in this year at Eileen's Lounge.
( http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=33437" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=33502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=33672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
I was not near a computer or the internet for most of the last 9 months so missed any log in problem here. I have been looking in again to the Lounge occasionally for a bit over a week now. I had my first ever experience of log in problems here last night. It was no big deal, the problem went away after a couple of hours. I just thought I would mention it in passing.

I am usually logged in automatically when visiting the lounge. On an attempt last night I saw this,
CantLogIn 1.JPG : https://imgur.com/bQnd2E2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CantLogIn 1.JPG
On trying to log in I got redirected here:
CantLogIn.JPG : https://imgur.com/FOFNHy1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CantLogIn.JPG
If I attempted to log in there, then, that page just stayed as it was. So I could not log in.
I tried a few things, like cleared my Cache, re-started the computer, carefully retyped my password a few times, but all that made no difference.
I was using my main computer on my normal IP address. We had coincidentally a couple of other computers in the family surfing the internet via VPN at the time. So I had a quick try at logging in from those. The result was the same, no joy.

After a couple of hours all was back to normal, as it continues to be this morning.
So no real problem. I just thought I would mention my experience in passing
( At the time that I was unsuccessful at logging in there were occasionally other members shown to be logged in )

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

The last couple of hours I couldn't log in, usuall problem , got stuck here
Stuck at Login.JPG

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Doc.AElstein wrote:got stuck here
Err, :nope: that's not me, that's you :grin:

Ken
PS, sorry, I know that's not very helpful but I couldn't resist it.

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

:smile:

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Periods when I have been unable to log in to the lounge seem to have become a common occurrence for me over the past few months - usually occurs around 2245'ish GMT, but used only to last for about 10 or so minutes. Tonight, 1st Feb, I was unable to log in between 2250 and 2330 GMT. It's really just an inconvenience that I've come to accept, but it does seem to be becoming a far more frequent occurrence, and of greater time span. Just noting this for the record.
Regards,
Keith