Mailgun Eye

hougs
NewLounger

Mailgun Eye

Post by hougs »

When I opened my gmail there was an eye in front of the sender "Eileen's Weekly Digest". Never noticed it before. When hovering the mouse pointer over it, it says "Mailgun". I looked up "Mailgun", and it seems to be some kind of email distribution service, which also offers tracking services. Is that a Lounge feature, or something I should be worried about?

/hougs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Mailgun Eye

Post by HansV »

Hmmm, never seen that. I'll check out the next digest I'll receive (later today)...
Best wishes,
Hans

hougs
NewLounger

Post by hougs »

After further research I found that the eye probably belongs to a Chrome extension "Ugly Email", which I installed years ago, and then forgot about again. https://uglyemail.com/ - at least the eye looks a lot like theirs :alien:
There it states: "Ugly Email is a Gmail plug-in. When a tracker is detected, it shows the icon of an eyeball in the subject line to alert you that a tracker is hidden inside the email."
So, does that mean that Eileen's Lounge puts a tracker into the Lounge Digest? If so, what does the tracker tell you nice lounge admins? Or anybody else?

/Hougs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The digests are managed by the "phpBB Digests" add-on to our forum software; as far as I know it doesn't add a tracker to the digests, and we definitely don't add one ourself...
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I just received my (daily) digest. I have looked through the HTML source code of the message, and I can't find any trace of a tracker...
Best wishes,
Hans