Cropping images for posts

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Cropping images for posts

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Your image consisted mostly of white space. I have cropped it for you; please do so yourself in the future. Thanks for your cooperation!

The one with the $ refers to the worksheet named address1.
The one without the $ refers a named range or table.
Thank you Hans.

Now I have to ask you to look at the attachment below because I always crop my attachments before posting them. What you showed looked much better than the one I posted but what is shown in your attachment is all that I placed inside of Paint before saving it. What I did in the attachment below is crop it again and it looks OK to me but so did the first one. If this one looks better I guess I will have to crop it twice which is no problem but I really don't know what happened to show mostly white space. If this one is bad also I'm not sure what to do. it looks good to me in Paint but when I click on the file and let Windows Photo Viewer open it is is small again. Sorry but from what I can see this attachment doesn't look any better. How do I correct that? As mentioned I am using Paint to create these from a screen shot and cropping only what needs to be shown, opening a new Paint file and pasting that cropped portion in it, and then saving the file.
Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HansV on 09 May 2019, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to change the subject after this post was moved to Lounge Matters
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Mail Merge Using Excel Data

Post by StuartR »

hlewton wrote:cropping only what needs to be shown, opening a new Paint file and pasting that cropped portion in it, and then saving the file.
I suspect your problem is these steps. You create a new Paint file that is much larger than your screen shot. Paste the screen shot. Then save. This results in an image that is mostly white space. You need to crop the paint file so that it doesn't have lots of white space.

I'm going to move this post into a new thread in the Lounge Matters forum, as we are no longer discussing Word.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
hlewton wrote:cropping only what needs to be shown, opening a new Paint file and pasting that cropped portion in it, and then saving the file.
I suspect your problem is these steps. You create a new Paint file that is much larger than your screen shot. Paste the screen shot. Then save. This results in an image that is mostly white space. You need to crop the paint file so that it doesn't have lots of white space.

I'm going to move this post into a new thread in the Lounge Matters forum, as we are no longer discussing Word.
Hans what you see in the above attachment has no white space after I crop it, only the text or photo whatever it is. It does appear as a large file when cropped and pasted into a new Paint file but small when opened in Windows Photo Viewer. So I have no clue what is happening or how to correct it. I just experimented with 2 additional screen shots and after cropping and pasting only what I want displayed they too have a lot of white space. How did you correct the one you did for me and can I do the same before attaching it?
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Cropping images for posts

Post by stuck »

Try this sequence:
1) grab a screen shot
2) open paint
3) click paste and the screenshot will appear
4) use the 'select' tool to pick out the area you want
5) RIGHT click inside the area you've seleted and chose 'crop', only the selected area is retained
6) save the cropped image
7) review the cropped image by opening the saved file in whatever image viewer you want

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:Try this sequence:
1) grab a screen shot
2) open paint
5) RIGHT click inside the area you've seleted and chose 'crop', only the selected area is retained
7) review the cropped image by opening the saved file in whatever image viewer you want

Ken
Thanks I will try that right now.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

hlewton wrote:
1) grab a screen shot
2) open paint

Ken
Thanks I will try that right now.
I believe that worked. I was doing it backward I guess. I will try attaching the one I just created with this method and see if it is better.
Address3.jpg
I think it worked. Again thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

[...]
If I take a screenshot of anything, eiter directly or via some software and just use the clipboard copy, and it's smaller than the standard "canvas" I crop it with a simple keypress in MS Paint.

So, it's Ctrl-V and then Ctrl-Shift-X.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:... You create a new Paint file that is much larger than your screen shot.
I get this sort of thing occaisonaly. I suspect that (for me) it is a legacy of saving an MSPaint image of, say, 4,000x4,000 pixels.
Next time I open MSPaint I have a blank 4,000x4,000 pixel canvas and if I don't notice that, my 200x200 pasted image sits in the top left-hand corner of a huge canvas.

My defense is to resize the canvas to a tiny 4x4 pixel canvas before pasting.
problem solved.

Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ChrisGreaves wrote:My defense is to resize the canvas to a tiny 4x4 pixel canvas before pasting.
That's a good strategy!
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Of course one could just get a screen capture application that loads the screenshot into its own image editor for cropping and editing. So much simpler that PrtScn and Paint process.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:Of course one could just get a screen capture application that loads the screenshot into its own image editor for cropping and editing. So much simpler that PrtScn and Paint process.
:laugh: :rofl:
Cheers
Chris

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

No need in getting a screen capturing program, Windows all ready come with on.
Snipping Tool and it new version come with Windows10, and 7 only has the older version.

I have added it (Snipping Tool) to my task bar and can get a clipped image with just a few mouse clicks and then the pasting, as there is a Copy option built in.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:Snipping Tool and it new version come with Windows10, and 7 only has the older version.
Well.
OK.
(grudgingly) maybe (grin)
Snipping Tool
In Win7HP the free-form snip might be useful, but still and all it pastes it into an edited image as a rectangular block, not as the free-form block?
Or maybe that's a Feature of MSPaint.

(signed) "Still Learning" of Bonavista