Why Am I being Logged Out?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Why Am I being Logged Out?

Post by BobH »

It seems that if I'm inactive for a short period of time when I return I have to log in again. I looked in User Control Panel for a 'keep me logged in' control but didn't find one, nor did I see one on the login in screen.

I know I've always been as dumb as a box of hammers and age isn't improving that, but I don't recall having this problem before. FWIW, I use Roboform PW manager to log in. I've not found an option there to control auto logout, but I refer you back to the first sentence in this paragraph.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :hairout: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Why Am I being Logged Out?

Post by HansV »

If you start from the Portal page, there is a check box "Remember me" under the password box:
S2620.png
If you start from the Board Index and click Login, the login page has a check box "Log me on automatically each visit":
S2621.png
If you do not tick the check box, you will be logged out after some time of inactivity.

And if you clear cookies, you will also be logged out - we use a cookie to store your logged in status.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I think the culprit is Roboform. When I get the portal panels, I click Login which triggers Roboform to offer the userid and password and lets me click fill & submit. When I do so, the check box to Remember me is reset. I'll have to look into whether or not I can get Roboform to check the box when it fills and submits.

Thanks for helping me figure that out. I was looking for a "keep me logged in" option and forgot about the Remember Me box.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You can get Roboform to tick that box. I do.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I have my secret decoder ring but I still cannot figure out how to get Roboform to tick that box.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Strangely, Roboform always ticks that box for me, but I can't see a field that causes this
Roboform card for Eileens Lounge.png
GoTo Eileens Lounge
Before Roboform fill fields.png
Fill Forms
After Roboform fill fields.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I haven't looked closer at this (and my use case is a bit different, since I white list cookies, usually for session only, and that, or using private browsing mode, means you have to log in every time and if looking at the cookies one obviously will find that they will expire after the session), but a quick check tells me they will expire in 1 year, in a "normal" case.

If one hasn't cleaned cookies before starting to use RoboForm, could it be that it already "knew" to check that box, since it had been checked earlier? Or put in another way testing cleaning cookies, checking (browser) permissions, manual log in, and try again.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I just deleted all lounge cookies, then logged in by typing the username and password manually. It did NOT automatically check the box "Logme on automatically each visit".

I then logged out again and told Roboform to navigate to the lounge and fill in the form. It checked the box again.
StuartR

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I found the field, it was hiding behind the More > Details menu item at the top right on Roboform
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

StuartR wrote:I just deleted all lounge cookies, then logged in by typing the username and password manually. It did NOT automatically check the box "Logme on automatically each visit".
No, that would be expected, otherwise there would be no need for that option, checkbox; I was thinking if one did check the box when manually entering username & password, cookies being saved, then starting to use RoboForm. But that doesn't explain RoboForm's helpful behaviour if starting with no cookies, and why it's not working for Bob. It was just a thought.

Ah, it was a case of "dig further in settings".
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I tried deleting cookies here and logging out and back in. I had previously deleted the entry in Roboform for Eileen's Lounge; therefore I had to enter my userid and password. I also checked the 'keep me logged in' tick box. For reasons unknown to me, Roboform failed to ask me if I wanted it to capture my login and password.

I've read the Roboform manual through several times. I cannot find any information about how to manage what information is stored in a login or how to change what might be there. I've opened a trouble ticket at Roboform but after 2 days I've heard nothing from them.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See Stuart's reply 2 or 3 posts back.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

To force Roboform to save a page if it seems reluctant hold the Alt key while you click the login button. See How to Force AutoSave
StuartR