Eileen's Lounge has a horizontal scroll bar in Code Window

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hi
Just noticed something interesting...
I just noticed coincidentally that you can, in fact, get a horizontal scroll bar in the code window at Eileen’s Lounge
Eileen's Lounge has a horizontal scroll bar in Code Window.JPG : https://imgur.com/XO8UoLU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic. ... 90#p247796" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately it still wraps long code lines, which I personally find is unfortunate

It seems that you can generate a scroll bar by simple having an unbroken string, but any long strings which are broken will still be wrapped

Code: Select all

Dim strGet As String: Let strGet = LaterDtaObj.GetText() '  This is  "A1" & vbTab & "B1" & vbTab & "C1"& vbCr & vbLf & "A2" & vbTab & "B2" ..
AnyUnbrokenString###################WillGenerateAScrollBar#####################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################
End Sub
If you could have the option to disable the line wrap, then that would be possibly a way, ( in conjunction with using a long unbroken string), to have a scroll bar, which could be useful, for example in posting a long formula.

Alan

Edit P.s. The scroll bar also works in Internet Explorer.
EileensWorksInIE as well.JPG : https://imgur.com/SGWpWi3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I mention this in passing , as in many Forums, there is a quirk that the Horizontal code window scroll bar that they have as standard, does not work in Internet Explorer ( http://www.excelfox.com/forum/showthrea ... #post10907 )
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 05 Mar 2019, 13:10, edited 2 times in total.
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

Leif
Administrator

Re: Eileen's Lounge has a horizontal scroll bar in Code Wind

Post by Leif »

Personally, I find having to use a scroll bar to read a single line in a post extremely irritating. And have you seen the effect including a very wide section of code has on a thread if you try and read it on a small screen, such as you get on a mobile/smart phone?
Leif

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

I guess it is just personal preference.
I don’t have anything to do with smart phones personally, ( apart from simple telephoning)
I like the scroll bar in the code window of the VB Editor for putting a lot of notes way to the right. That way it does not clutter the coding in normal view, but for later reference I have the info there.

It has been discussed a few times at other forums. On balance it has usually been decided to have a horizontal scroll bar on code pane windows, ( if it could be done. I also suggested it recently to a major code sharing cloud site. They wanted to do it, but have not figured out how yet).
But personal preferences were always split.
On average more were in favour than against. ( Hans mentioned to me once that it is quite difficult to impliment a horizontal code window scroll bar here )

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Doc.AElstein wrote:I guess it is just personal preference.
I know it is just personal preference :smile:

I have also just remembered that what people see is dependent on the forum skin. I use subsilver2, and there appears to be a distinct difference between the way code panels work in it compared with prosilver (which is what I guess you use). Try it and you'll see the reason why I prefer not to have a horizontal scroll bar.

Incidentally, is there a reason why you post your images on imgur - as opposed to including them in a convenient and relative position in your post - and your links are randomly in a smaller font?
Leif

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Leif wrote: is there a reason why you post your images on imgur - as opposed to including them in a convenient and relative position in your post - and your links are randomly in a smaller font?
You asked me the same question before, a couple of years back……
Mostly, its personal preference :) ,
A few reasons I geuss… Sometimes I do both, or one or the other. I like to have both,- belts and braces approach: Although I have never experienced problems here yet, in some forums their images have suddenly stopped working. Or visa versa: The links stop working when the embedded pics are OK.
Sometimes, the screen shot is additional in my posts, but not absolutely necessary, so I just do the link as it clutters the Thread less than a full embedded pic.
I can only upload 3 pics.. ,
I have not figured out yet how to easily combine pics
The smaller font is often for something that is less important for others to see, or for things that are mostly useful for my own later reference, like in an imgur – the small print is often my file name so I can find it again.

I am not perfect in my posting style. I post in a lot of very varied forums and Blog sites, so I may not always post the same consistent way in any particular forum. The BB coding is different as well, sometimes only slightly, so it can catch you out.
I usually try to keep the links smaller. I prefer to see the full link, but at the same time that can clutter if the link is long, so a smaller size is a compromise between still being able to just about see it , and it not being too obtrusive.

People will always see things differently in different styles and on different gadgets that they view on.
I will try to check out more how others see things a bit more. Thanks for the feedback

Alan